??suggestions for sata3 6 GB/s card??

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone. I am building a new rig out of some older equipment in order to run Linux on it. I have no Linux experience, but after I am through building this computer, it will be fairly fast, and I will dive in. The motherboard is an Asus P5Q3 Deluxe Wifi-AP@N, and I am going to mod a Intel Xeon X5470 3.33GHz proc and drop it in (and maybe have to mod the microcode for the bios). It will have 2 x 4gb of ddr3 1600 (open to suggestions here, I have looked at crucial ballistix sport ram). I would like to use an SSD (open to suggestions here also) in this computer, but the motherboard only has sata2 ports. I want to plug the ssd into sata3. I have researched alot of the cheaper alternatives for a sata3 card, and nothing has jumped out at me yet. This card will have to work with Linux (ubuntu?), and will probably have to support at least 1T capacity drive. Most of the lower cost cards seem to have reliability problems from what I can see in the reviews. I see happy campers, and a significant amount of unhappy campers as well. I have read some forums where some people are buying dell server pulls and they seem to be pretty happy with those, and I saw where some people are happy with LSI cards. Some of this stuff gets pretty expensive. This leads me to my question: What is a better-than-good (very reliable) choice for a sata3 pci express card that will let me fully utilize this ssd (without getting hamstrung in any way), and run well with linux? I went on ebay and saw so many different cards, and I had no idea of what card was better than another card, or if I could even use it or not. Please advise. Thank you.

Emperor Apprentice
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P7P55D
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Chipset:
      • Intel P55 Express
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 750
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Stock Intel
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill Ripjaw (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH)
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • NVidia GTX960
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1000 mem / 725 gpu
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar DX
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Silent
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1Tb 32Mb cache (WD1001FALS)
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG GH22NS50 DVDRW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home x64

What do you want to use the machine for? Is it just general tinkering around or are you going to be doing anything serious with it?

Since you are starting from scratch with Linux I'd just use what you have to start with and see how you get on.

I will probably use it for different tasks, possible a dual boot machine. It will definitely be a linux platform, and i will probably experiment with too. As time goes on, more will unfold. My motherboard and mod stickers are in transit, and I have not bought the memory yet (still looking). I already have a main computer and a backup computer. This is a side project. Any idea about the sata3 card?

Junior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.2Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Scythe Ninja revB
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair Vengance
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • Evga GTX 970
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1753 / 1137
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • BQT-E7-450W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 240GB Samsung EVO
      • Optical Drives:
      • DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

You can try DeLOCK, cheap Marvel based sata cards. Thats about the only cheap/reliable one i know.

As for linux, Marvel is being a bit of a douche regarding drivers and atm AHCI is to be avoided. Check this link for chipsets
    Last edited by akirarulez; January 4, 2017 at 23:03. Reason: mixed up modes

I went to the link you provided and read this (I have read in various forums and commentary about how much people dislike marvell controllers, and this seems to accentuate all this testimony:

"Problematic chipsets
    Although marvell controllers driven by sata_mv are well supported, various marvell AHCI controllers are suffering from incomplete and/or buggy support. Marvell doesn't seem to allocate any resource on upstream Linux support and communication between marvell and libata developers is weak. For the time being, avoiding marvell AHCI controllers is advisable."

Thank you for the heads up. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Junior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Maximus V Gene
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.2Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Scythe Ninja revB
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair Vengance
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • Evga GTX 970
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1753 / 1137
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • BQT-E7-450W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 240GB Samsung EVO
      • Optical Drives:
      • DVD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

External SATA controllers seem to be in just 2 flavors when buying as a consumer:
    1. Marvel based controllers with a random brand name slapped on them. These tend to be cheap and about the only ones you can get.
    2. High end Intel based and such which tend to start at 400 euros

With the 775 socket you will be stuck at sata2, so either use that or see if you can find a 2nd hand card.

Veteran Onion
    These may be the best options for you, for a SATA3 SSD interface, as they can use the speed of the PCI bus and 8/4 lanes -
    https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Roc.../dp/B0050SLTPC or, a bit cheaper
    https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-R64...9%3AHigh+Point
    I've been happy with their products before, but not using those particular cards - they also seem to have excellent LINUX support with many versions supported.
    Heck, check out their lines yourself -
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_ne...duct_SATA6.htm

But IMO, you'd be better getting a M.2 hard drive, so it can be used at full speed later, and something like this adaptor
    https://www.amazon.com/Mailiya-M-2-P...2%3A1248879011 - supposedly works with any OS, including LINUX.
    Last edited by Gordo; January 10, 2017 at 15:17.

Junior Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Sabertooth Z97 MK 2
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Chipset:
      • Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • GeminII S524 Ver 2
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Vengance
      • Memory Speed:
      • 933.2Mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • XFX R9 290
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 947/1250
      • Sound Card:
      • Recon 3D PCI-E
      • PSU:
      • Antec True power 750
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Intel 730 480GB
      • Optical Drives:
      • Lite-On iHAS224, iHBS212
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally posted by Gordo View Post
    These may be the best options for you, for a SATA3 SSD interface, as they can use the speed of the PCI bus and 8/4 lanes -
    https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Roc.../dp/B0050SLTPC or, a bit cheaper
    https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-R64...9%3AHigh+Point
    I've been happy with their products before, but not using those particular cards - they also seem to have excellent LINUX support with many versions supported.
    Heck, check out their lines yourself -
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_ne...duct_SATA6.htm

But IMO, you'd be better getting a M.2 hard drive, so it can be used at full speed later, and something like this adaptor
    https://www.amazon.com/Mailiya-M-2-P...2%3A1248879011 - supposedly works with any OS, including LINUX.
    Yeah, I would be inclined to go with the RocketRAID 640L as well. Looks like it has good support in Linux
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA_ne...0-download.htm