Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
  1. #161
    Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • i7-6800K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • Stock 3.6 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H110i
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Dominator
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 500GB EVO 850 OS and 2x 1TB EVO 850 Games
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area CA, USA
    Posts
    11,295
    Quote Originally posted by russ18uk View Post
    Looks like another device you'll have to change when new standards come out. $400 too at that.
    HDMI 2.1 is still a ways out so as long as they have the kinks of HDMI 2.0b and HDCP 2.2 ironed out, it should be fine.

  2. #162
    Senior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8Z77-VPro
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4800Mhz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Noctua NH-D14
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2 x 280x
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally posted by mutelight View Post
    This has piqued my interest!

    https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/14/caavo-home-theater/

    Basically it is a GUI front end that ties all of your devices together. Definitely superfluous but I like the idea of having a unified GUI front end for all your media devices.

    I do have concerns over issues with HDCP and HDMI-CEC handshake issues and how it will actually tie everything together.

    From what I can tell it may control all the devices via HDMI-CEC, get to the video stream and then hijack that and pass the content through. Neat concept nonetheless.



    Glad to hear you are getting your center channel sorted!

    Also the sub looks quite nice. Were you finding that your current one wasn't digging deep enough or not pressurizing the room enough? (or both?) Also I assume you tried out different placement and/or did the sub crawl to ensure you are maximizing the current one's capabilities? (Subs are very picky on placement.) I would just hate for you to swap it out and lose performance due to less than ideal placement.
    I unfortunately can't try different placement due to how the cabling has been done...But I think the main issue is it doesn't dig deep enough in films. For music it is brilliant.

  3. #163
    Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • i7-6800K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • Stock 3.6 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H110i
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Dominator
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 500GB EVO 850 OS and 2x 1TB EVO 850 Games
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area CA, USA
    Posts
    11,295
    Quote Originally posted by Purextc69 View Post
    I unfortunately can't try different placement due to how the cabling has been done...But I think the main issue is it doesn't dig deep enough in films. For music it is brilliant.
    Ah bummer. Sub placement is incredibly important due to the length of the sound waves. Hopefully there aren't standing waves occurring on the lower frequencies causing the lack of deep bass and you encounter the same on the new sub.

  4. #164
    Senior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8Z77-VPro
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4800Mhz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Noctua NH-D14
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2 x 280x
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally posted by mutelight View Post
    Ah bummer. Sub placement is incredibly important due to the length of the sound waves. Hopefully there aren't standing waves occurring on the lower frequencies causing the lack of deep bass and you encounter the same on the new sub.
    I don't believe I am getting that issue. I get nice bass - deep, punchy enough to shake the sofa a bit - it could just be better. I really do believe it is the sub not able to hit those super low frequencies during films. Considering it hits 28Hz at -6db and I am usually watching films at -9db it probably wont be getting close to that either.

  5. #165
    Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • i7-6800K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • Stock 3.6 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H110i
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Dominator
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 500GB EVO 850 OS and 2x 1TB EVO 850 Games
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

    Joined
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area CA, USA
    Posts
    11,295
    Quote Originally posted by Purextc69 View Post
    I don't believe I am getting that issue. I get nice bass - deep, punchy enough to shake the sofa a bit - it could just be better. I really do believe it is the sub not able to hit those super low frequencies during films. Considering it hits 28Hz at -6db and I am usually watching films at -9db it probably wont be getting close to that either.
    Hopefully not but I am just warning you because you'd be amazed how much of an effect moving the sub around has on frequency response. For example, even leaning forward and hovering your head over my coffee table vs. sitting back on the couch has a substantial impact on the mid to low bass response coming from the subs in the front towers.

    That said, the new sub has a larger driver, enclosure, and more power on tap so there should be an improvement in the lower register. (Even though your current sub has a passive radiator to increase driver surface area.)

    To clarify, I am sure the new sub will certainly help, just passing along advice because sub placement is incredibly important since the long waves are a PITA to deal with in rooms. I have moved my subwoofer numerous times and I actually get the most flat frequency response from it being out to the left side of the couch, in the middle of the wall due to the shape and acoustics in the room.

  6. #166
    Senior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8Z77-VPro
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4800Mhz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Noctua NH-D14
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2 x 280x
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally posted by mutelight View Post
    Hopefully not but I am just warning you because you'd be amazed how much of an effect moving the sub around has on frequency response. For example, even leaning forward and hovering your head over my coffee table vs. sitting back on the couch has a substantial impact on the mid to low bass response coming from the subs in the front towers.

    That said, the new sub has a larger driver, enclosure, and more power on tap so there should be an improvement in the lower register. (Even though your current sub has a passive radiator to increase driver surface area.)

    To clarify, I am sure the new sub will certainly help, just passing along advice because sub placement is incredibly important since the long waves are a PITA to deal with in rooms. I have moved my subwoofer numerous times and I actually get the most flat frequency response from it being out to the left side of the couch, in the middle of the wall due to the shape and acoustics in the room.
    Yeah I appreciate the advice mate. I get a bass trap just outside the door that leads to my entrance hallway... weirdly. Everywhere else seems reasonably neutral so far... Certainly not boomy in any of the listening positions.

    I need to sell this one first - but the plan is to upgrade to that other one... will start looking for a buyer when I am back from Vancouver mid March.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally posted by Purextc69 View Post
    I unfortunately can't try different placement due to how the cabling has been done...But I think the main issue is it doesn't dig deep enough in films. For music it is brilliant.
    Before you make the change, you could get one of these and a longer sub cable and try out different positions. If you're like me you're going to spend the rest of your life wondering if you have the best position until you try it.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-C...+female+single

  8. #168
    Senior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8Z77-VPro
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4800Mhz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Noctua NH-D14
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Dominator
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2 x 280x
      • PSU:
      • 1000W Coolermaster
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7

    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    3,212
    Quote Originally posted by dangermoose View Post
    Before you make the change, you could get one of these and a longer sub cable and try out different positions. If you're like me you're going to spend the rest of your life wondering if you have the best position until you try it.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-C...+female+single
    I honestly don't want to tempt fate and try... The sub really can only be in this one place. I'm just happy it doesn't produce any traps in the position it is in. Well, in the listening positions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •