Veteran Master Onion

The Last Guardian

Anyone pick this up yet?

I started playing last night and I'm absolutely enamored with the game. It's got this amazing nostalgic charm about it without feeling cheesy or dated in the way that Final Fantasy XV does. The graphics are beautiful. It's clear that some last-gen assets are in place, but this game clearly could not run on a PS3. Performance is actually a lot better than I expected on my PS4 Pro after hearing some negative rumblings. It definitely performs way better than Final Fantasy XV, anyway. The art direction is what really sells the visuals of the game, though.

Trico is adorable, and I'm only an hour or two into the game and already love and care about him. The AI that drives him is extremely impressive as well. Very believable.

The writing/story is top notch thus far and the music is hauntingly beautiful.

I can't wait to get home to play more. If this level of quality can be upheld throughout the entire play-through, this may end up being one of my favorite games of all time.

Proxycon Emperor
    I watched some video of it. Trico is very impressive.

Performance is atrocious on anything except PS4 Pro 1080p mode, though.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • i7-6800K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • Stock 3.6 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H110i
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Dominator
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 500GB EVO 850 OS and 2x 1TB EVO 850 Games
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally posted by valtterieranen View Post
    Performance is atrocious on anything except PS4 Pro 1080p mode, though.
    Yeah, the performance is really awful on the Pro in 4K mode.

The game is pretty but definitely looks like a beefed up PS3 game with some better effects and HDR layered on top of it.

All that said the animations on Trico are amazing, he has an incredible sense of scale and weight and I am enjoying the game even when it turns into a slide show.

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • nForce 650i
      • CPU:
      • C2D E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair Dominator 800
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
      • Sound Card:
      • X-FI Gamer
      • PSU:
      • 750 watt
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 750GB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Operating System:
      • Vista SP2

I guess if you launch it in 1080p and then switch to 2160 (while the game is running) you get the higher res with the 1080p.performance profile.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • i7-6800K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • Stock 3.6 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H110i
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Dominator
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 500GB EVO 850 OS and 2x 1TB EVO 850 Games
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally posted by get_loud View Post
    I guess if you launch it in 1080p and then switch to 2160 (while the game is running) you get the higher res with the 1080p.performance profile.
    Yeah, I still need to test that out and see if I prefer the ~1800p presentation with FPS all over the place or 1080p upscaled with relatively solid 30FPS.

Junior Proxycon Emperor
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asrock X79 Extreme6/GB
      • Chipset:
      • X79
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3930k
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.2GHz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair Hydro H100
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (8GB reserved for RAM drive)
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2x GeForce GTX 970 4GB SLI
      • PSU:
      • 750W PCP&P Silencer (Red)
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD + 240GB 830, 60GB OCZ SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Black, 4TB SSHD
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8 Pro MCE

After all this time, I almost can't believe it's finally here!

And now my collection is complete.

Junior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Sabertooth z77
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Chipset:
      • z77
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770k
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4500mhz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • EK Supremacy WB
      • Memory:
      • Patriot Viper 16gig
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1833mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • Titan X Pascal
      • Sound Card:
      • Onboard
      • PSU:
      • Sapphire Pure 1250W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Samsung 830 256gig/3gig data
      • Optical Drives:
      • Samsung Blu Ray
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64 bit

I finished this earlier today. It was one of the most tedious experiences I've had with a game for years. I doubt think I've ever been as needlessly frustrated by a game this side of 2005. The controls are absolutely horrible, the camera is horrible, the AI is horrible, the image quality is horrible and it performs like a dog. None of the puzzles are particularly taxing but progress often depends on waiting on Trico to figure out what you want to do next. Simple tasks such as getting Trico to jump to the next platform can often take an age and is unnecessarily frustrating.

It's a real pity as buried somewhere beneath this mess is a decent game. Incredibly, for a title which has spent nigh on 8 years in development it feels like a very rough alpha build.

Veteran Master Onion
    Quote Originally posted by JunkieXcel View Post
    I finished this earlier today. It was one of the most tedious experiences I've had with a game for years. I doubt think I've ever been as needlessly frustrated by a game this side of 2005. The controls are absolutely horrible, the camera is horrible, the AI is horrible, the image quality is horrible and it performs like a dog. None of the puzzles are particularly taxing but progress often depends on waiting on Trico to figure out what you want to do next. Simple tasks such as getting Trico to jump to the next platform can often take an age and is unnecessarily frustrating.

It's a real pity as buried somewhere beneath this mess is a decent game. Incredibly, for a title which has spent nigh on 8 years in development it feels like a very rough alpha build.
    I will admit that you have to approach The Last Guardian differently that almost any other game.

You are never able to "control" Trico. You can't press a button to make Trico jump, or go to a specific spot, or attack someone for you. You have to coerce Trico as if you would have to coerce any other animal to cooperate with you. As your bond with Trico strengthens throughout the game, his "controls" grow more and more responsive. This is completely by design and is essentially the crux of what the entire game revolves around: a relationship with a boy and his animal companion, and how they go from being fearful and untrusting of eachother to inseparable.

You definitely have to be in the right headspace to enjoy a game like this. Fortunately I was prepared for this experience and I loved it from beginning to end.

That's not to say the game is without its flaws. The camera was wonky at times, for sure, and the framerate was less than consistent. Other than that, I loved it. Certainly one of my top 25 games of all time.