+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is 480i a normal HD Resolution?

I just got my hd cable box today and all my channels including the HD ones are coming in at 480i resolution. Now the hd channels do look cripsper than the average cable channels but I can't change the resolution to anything but 480i stretch, zoom,normal, etc. I have a brand new hdtv : http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televis...ils.asp?id=182. Iv'e searched all the settings on the tv and cable box but theres no where to change the resolution. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks.

Junior Onion

Re: Is 480i a normal HD Resolution?

480i isn't HTDV at all, it's SDTV.

480i = SDTV
    480p = EDTV
    720i - 1280p = HDTV

Quote Originally posted by the_travis_s
    480i isn't HTDV at all, it's SDTV.

480i = SDTV
    480p = EDTV
    720i - 1280p = HDTV
    How would I access the hd resolutions?

Junior Onion

I know at least on my parent's (digital) cable box you need to actually turn the power off, then press menu to access the settings related to tv shape, resolutions, etc...

Quote Originally posted by the_travis_s
    I know at least on my parent's (digital) cable box you need to actually turn the power off, then press menu to access the settings related to tv shape, resolutions, etc...
    Funny I had just did that and now I can select the hdtv settings but the hd is not a crystal clear as people have made it out to be.

Do I have to change the resolution on the tv settings to? Because when I press format on the universal remote that came with the tv it still only gives you 480 resolution options.

Veteran Master Onion

Quote Originally posted by RaznStatic
    Funny I had just did that and now I can select the hdtv settings but the hd is not a crystal clear as people have made it out to be.
    welcome to hd: its not worth it yet.

which method are you using to connect the new HD box to your new HDTV? If its Composite or S-Video, those cant send an HD signal and instead will just reconverted back to 480i. You need to connect the HD box using either Component (Red,Green, and Blue for video) or DVI, or using the HDMI connection. If using the HDMI connection make sure the tv is HDCP compatible, or else the box and tv wont be able to handshake. hmm checking the link to your tv, either go with a Component connection better choose the HDMI connection that way, the data will be sent unaltered to the tv

Quote Originally posted by kew
    which method are you using to connect the new HD box to your new HDTV? If its Composite or S-Video, those cant send an HD signal and instead will just reconverted back to 480i. You need to connect the HD box using either Component (Red,Green, and Blue for video) or DVI, or using the HDMI connection. If using the HDMI connection make sure the tv is HDCP compatible, or else the box and tv wont be able to handshake. hmm checking the link to your tv, either go with a Component connection better choose the HDMI connection that way, the data will be sent unaltered to the tv
    I'm using the red, green, and blue.

hmmm... thats oddd.... which hd box are you using?