+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Junior Firefly

Do u hear ringing/high pitch noise in silent environments?

I hear this high pitch noise in my ears in quiet places or when i close my ears with my hands. Just curious if this happens to anyone else.

I'm hoping it's not hearing damage as I don't recall exposing myself to extreme levels of noise.

Re: Do u hear ringing/high pitch noise in silent environments?

Sounds like tinnitus

from a quick google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

short little extract:

Tinnitus is not itself a disease but a symptom resulting from a range of underlying causes. Causes include ear infections, foreign objects or wax in the ear, nose allergies that prevent (or induce) fluid drain and cause wax build-up, and injury from loud noises. Tinnitus is also a side-effect of some oral medications, such as aspirin, and may also result from an abnormally low level of serotonin activity. It is also a classical side effect of Quinidine, a Class IA anti-arrhythmic. In many cases, however, no underlying physical cause can be identified.

Firefly

every once and a while ill hear a ringing noise come and go but nothing big. It kinda just goes away if i ignore it. But that was caused by me shooting a shotgun when i was around 12-14 w/ no ear plugs. Also caused by me shooting a 240g w/ no ear plugs but that was on purpose.

Proxycon Emperor

I wouldn't be surprised if 99.99% of people report experiencing the same. The fact that you can only hear it in quiet environments is likely due to the fact that there's simply nothing else to hear.

Master Onion

Go

yes i do and no one else does. i can hear the tv on but the DVR being off so it just squeals. i try to explain to people but they just think im nuts.
    ________
    Dualnote
    Last edited by nacho; February 2, 2011 at 13:52.

Senior Proxycon Emperor
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
      • CPU:
      • i5-3570k
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 3.7 GHz (bum chip)
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H50
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB
      • Video Card(s):
      • GTX 670 x2
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally posted by nacho View Post
    yes i do and no one else does. i can hear the tv on but the DVR being off so it just squeals. i try to explain to people but they just think im nuts.
    Same here.
    I remember the computer lab at school when I was a kid, wall to wall 80's CRT monitors that squealed like nails on chalkboard, and nobody else could even hear it! I couldn't even get near the room or I'd get an instant migraine.
    Sometimes walking past someone's house I can tell if they have a TV on or not, just by listening for the squeal...

And yeah, sometimes when it's super quiet and nothing is moving I hear it too.

Master Onion

I hear a slight humm some times very late at night when it's VERY quiet. I think it's just my body though I'm hearing since I dont hear anything else [thumbup]

Master Proxycon Emperor

Quote Originally posted by Inept View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if 99.99% of people report experiencing the same. The fact that you can only hear it in quiet environments is likely due to the fact that there's simply nothing else to hear.
    There are hardly any 100% quiet environments anymore, so noise from electronics is possible.

Junior Onion

Quote Originally posted by AREA51 View Post
    I hear this high pitch noise in my ears in quiet places or when i close my ears with my hands. Just curious if this happens to anyone else.

I'm hoping it's not hearing damage as I don't recall exposing myself to extreme levels of noise.
    What about headphones? The ones you put into your ears are deceptively damaging as they can still cause damage at lower noise levels than normal.

Any noise that requires shouting to hear someone 1 metre away is causing damage.

I simply can't go to nightclubs anymore as I know it's damaging my hearing and I don't want to be deaf later in life, luckily I'm 30 so it's not a social problem

Senior Firefly

Quote Originally posted by AREA51 View Post

Yup, except mine isn't when it's quiet, I could be standing next to a jet engine and I think I'd still hear it, it drives me nuts sometimes, I can't stand silence as it squeels like a wounded pig, I have to sleep with noise in the background as it takes my mind off it, I used to love the sound of vacuum cleaners or any constant deep buzzing noise so I listen to an old alarm clock that makes a very deep constant buzzing, my missus ain't to happy about that so I put a book on top which covers the speaker and drowns it out a bit.

tinnitus is a bitch and can affect on different levels, I think far to many years of clubbing and being obsessed with car stereos going as loud and as much bass as possible has done it.

I had heard of a device that equalises the noise or something, you put it in your ear and change a tone until it matches the tone of the ringing you hear, leave it on for a little while and when you remove it you get silence for upto 15 minutes, this was a few years ago though.