Re: awesome scores in 3d01/05, but poor in 03/06

Quote Originally posted by InsanePC
    one step at a time, i will in due time. I think pics show much more! anyway, i originally didn't intend this thread to be a "prove it". I just wanted to see if i can raise my 06 scores.
    Compare URL ftw. Otherwise it all means nothing...

Senior Firefly

He has Conroe so I don't think FM will let him pubish until July 24th

bingo :) (27th, been bumped up 1 day from the 28th)

Just showing you guys (since embargo breaks the 13th) what you are in for! Personally, (at home) i own an athlon opteron 170 @ 2.8GHz (Stable w/ 2 prime95's on the CPU, 3d05 loop for >17 hours) and a 6800GT. When I first heard about Conroe, I thought "Intel. Heat. Poor Performance. AMD wannabe." I was desperately HOPING for AMD to have an answer to conroe with their AM2 system. Intel came by the office, dropped off a couple of conroe's (Core 2 Extreme's) and a few motherboards (975XBX) and ati gave us some x1900 CF w/ X1900XTX's. My AMD bias has turned to Intel now. The performance literally blew me away. Testing Doom 3, Ghost Recon, 3DMark, PCmark, this system is no joke!
    Last edited by InsanePC; July 14, 2006 at 17:17.

Here we go, a more in depth idea of what the conroe can do!

There you see the stock figures for the conroe w/o any kind of overclocking. (those scores are actually lower than what i had before, the cpu needed an RMA... crap happens :-( )

This is the default for 3DMark 2006. You can see that it clearly surpasses the 10k mark in 3DMark 2006. As you can also see, nothing is over clocked. Notice the high temperatures on the Crossfire cards. These are air cooled in a "wharehouse" environment, where it's posting a 95-97F (35-36C)

Here's an OC'ed Core 2 Extreme. ONLY THE CPU is OC'ed. Notice the nice 1334MHz on the FSB. Furthermore, you'll notice the memory is running @ 500.3MHz (Dual Channel DDR, 1GHz Effective). 3DMark 2005 jumped approximately 3K!. (Remember, VGA is STILL stock speeds). Additionally, we added water cooling to the GPU's. You can DEFINITELY see the difference in temps :-). (hence showing you the ati overdrive pic, and it being LOCKED)

3DMark 2006's result after the OC on the CPU. CPU score jumped from 2500+ to 3200+. GPU results stayed exactly the same. The result? 500 points. Not quite the 3000 points I had hoped for. Well i accidentally blocked off the ATI Catalyst Control Center screen, but it's still locked. (It's greyed out). You'll notice that on CPU-Z, it says that Multiplyer is 6-11, meaning depending on load, it'll jump between the 6x multiplier and the 11x multiplier to save power. In this instance the frequency is 2001.0 MHz. In the 3D2005 (shown above) the frequency is at full potential (thanks to my TOAST running in the background).

This image shows that I'm also overclocking the Radeons (X1900XTX + X1900 CF). Nice 600 points increase, when the GPU is overclocked! Again, Toast was ran so you guys can see the full frequency of the processor. Now, my score is 20100+. Not as dramatic as the the first increase (3000), but it still works. I have used the ATI tool and reached 21500 before, but for the purpose of keeping everything nice and easy, you can see what scores i'm getting.

Here we once again see the affect on 3DMark 2006. About half the points. 300 points. I guess this doesn't really affect it much. You can see the GPU scores are BARELY affected by this. Bummer :(. I really wanted to get closer to 13k.

I hope this has been insightful and helpful to you guys.

Senior Firefly

The scores are insane, 10k in 06 @ stock?!

And the conroe overclock to 3.7ghz on air... [surrender]
    Last edited by slayer305; July 14, 2006 at 18:47.

let me clarify this, I have this on water cooling on the CPU as well too :). Sorry, but that would've been great if it was air cooled. In fact, I never Air-cooled tested this thing, as I'm in a warehouse where it's really hot. I see you should be able to hit 3.2GHz with air cooling w/o any issues. The water cooling i'm using is actually REALLY easy to use. In fact, it's the GIGABYTE AURORA 3D case with the 3D Galaxy LCS system. (around 130 for the case and 130 for the water cooling kit). Easy install, awesome pump, i'm sure people have better h2o stuff than i do, but this is just trying to keep everything as easy as possible.

Junior Onion

Nice but not worth it yet for me till games use the 2nd core. Beat me bad in score but not in FPS Enjoy it looks sweet[thumbup]

anyway, the original intent of this thread is lost :(. I want to get higher scores in 03 and 06!!!!

Emperor Apprentice
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Msi GE70
      • CPU:
      • i7 4700MQ
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 3400mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR3
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600mhz CL9
      • Video Card(s):
      • Geforce GTX765m
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 850/4500
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 64GB Super Raid = 128GB 1000R/800W mb/s SSD + 1500GB
      • Optical Drives:
      • Bluray
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Quote Originally posted by InsanePC
    anyway, the original intent of this thread is lost :(. I want to get higher scores in 03 and 06!!!!
    OC,OC,OC,theres nothing more u can do.

here's some nvidia scores with conroe. Keep in mind, this is using the ASUS nforce4 motherboard with the conroe revision (the only nvidia conroe system currently). Check out the scores! Keep in mind, that i'm using the same corsair 6400C4 memory, and the same watercooling kit. The only difference in this is the motherboard and the GPU's (2x7900GTX 512MB in SLI mode) 2xWD150Raptors not in any type of RAID.

3DMark 2001SE
    you can see it's already benchmarking faster without any overclocking.

this is the 3DMark 2003. No overclock needed an already hitting 40k. There's the answer to my question! This is actually awesome. I see at stock speeds, my gaming scores are already outpacing the ati crossfire scores. What seemed strange is that ATi does have faster framerates in some game tests... I guess that's a mystery yet to be solved.

This is the 3DMark 2005 score. This one is actually a couple of hundred points below the ATI (actually ATi has been hitting 16.8K closer to 16.9K). However, it's only a few points. Not thousands of points. I would gladly only have a few hundred points off (around 500 or LESS) in 05, then to have awkward weird scores in 06,03.

Creme de crop. 06 is already hitting over 10k without a sweat. Again, about 200-300 points above ATI's offering.

I haven't even overclocked these babies yet!