+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

When's the right time to ask about how much a job pays

Any socially acceptable way to ask how much a job pays before an interview?
    I really don't want to take a day off work for an interview if the job pay is low.

Re: When's the right time to ask about how much a job pays

Quote Originally posted by Dibrom View Post
    Any socially acceptable way to ask how much a job pays before an interview?
    I really don't want to take a day off work for an interview if the job pay is low.
    When is the interview? I guess you could call up the HR Dept. and ask them maybe.

Proxycon Emperor

I wouldn't be apprehensive about it. Most employers nowadays try to slip out of this by asking you to give them a range, probably hoping that you'll be too bashful to ask for what you really want, in which case they get away with paying you less. It's baloney. There's absolutely no reason why you cannot, in the course of asking about the job, also ask about the expected salary range.

You're not talking to your friends or family, where the money that someone earns may be considered private. You're conducting a business transaction and money is a part of that. I'd say it's appropriate to ask and to negotiate. Maybe wait for chrisinthesun to pop in since this is his field of work.

Quote Originally posted by Inept View Post
    You're not talking to your friends or family, where the money that someone earns may be considered private. You're conducting a business transaction and money is a part of that. I'd say it's appropriate to ask and to negotiate.
    I'd be careful, that kind of question often makes it on to the list of what not to ask lists. This quote is from the web page InterviewStuff.com but similar can be found everywhere:

"Salary
    NEVER ask about salary in the job interview.

You should have checked that the job is within your target salary range, before the interview. So don't raise the topic of money, unless in response to the interviewer's question."

Proxycon Emperor

He's asking about finding out before the interview. My recommendation is simply to ask.

Even during an interview, usually towards the end, the interviewer will ask you whether you have any questions. I wouldn't make it my only or my first question, but I think it might be appropriate to ask what range the company expects the selected candidate's salary to fall into.

Insofar as advice from people who claim to offer methods for finding jobs and doing well in interviews is concerned, everyone has a different opinion that they claim is a certain fact and the absolute proper way. Sadly, there is no correct way. It varies by interviewer, company and according to your own personality. Be honest, tell them what you think and ask them what you want to know. You don't know how many people come in with the exact same answers to questions and exact same questions for the end of the interview because they've been prepped. I've sat in on interviews for technical positions and it's horrendous, and I don't even do it day in and day out. Be unique and be yourself.

Additionally, if you look at people who tend to get ahead in life, they do not do so by being meek. Don't get on your knees, put your hands out and beg. Show some initiative and be assertive. Don't be cocky or arrogant, but don't bend over either. If this bothers the interviewer, you're better off without anyway. Unless you absolutely cannot do without the money, you don't need a job at some company that expects you to prostrate yourself before its holy highness.

The roundabout point I'm trying to make is that an interview should not be a master-servant affair and you should be courteous but not to the point that you sacrifice yourself. It's a meeting of peers. You are selling your services for money so be a businessman. Sell the product and get a fair price for it.

Senior Firefly

Id say if you get a second interview then thats the right time to dip into the more detailed things such as salary etc. In most of my cases, if they feel that you are perfect for the job they will call you or invite you in for another meeting and go over everything including salary. Then if your happy with what they are offering then you in and all is good to start.

Firefly

people really waste time waiting for second interviews before finding out what the salary is likely to be?

biggest waste of time for them and you if you do an interview for a job that might not even pay enough to support you

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • MSI GT70 20D-087NL
      • CPU:
      • 4th Gen Intel i7-4700MQ
      • Memory:
      • 16GB RAM
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 2x128GB SSD + 720GB HDD
      • Optical Drives:
      • BD+DVD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8

Asking about salary BEFORE a first interview is something that could be tricky, as it immediately gives away your motivation for the job.

For contract work - salary is of course agreed before a candidate is presented, - however for perm positions, at best you'll get a salary indication (range) before the interview, but not usually more than that. If you don't get anything before, then its something that should be discussed in the interview, usually towards the end.

Employers want someone who is movtivated for the role, identifies with their company and wants to be part of their team. Salary is of course important, however if you ask about it before everything else, then potentially there will be a question mark on your real motivation.

You could potentially ask for an indication / range before the interview, but I would not ask for anything more than that. To be honest I am surprised that they have not at least given you a range already. Interviewing takes up a companies time too - the last thing they want is to waste time interviewing people they can't hire (e.g due to a salary mismatch).

Senior Firefly

Quote Originally posted by Snoop1050 View Post
    people really waste time waiting for second interviews before finding out what the salary is likely to be?

biggest waste of time for them and you if you do an interview for a job that might not even pay enough to support you
    Yeah but walking in there, sitting through the interview and then the first question out of your mouth is "how much you going to pay me" will surely not get you the position. Majority of businesses are looking for someone who wants to expand and stay with the company. They dont want to waste their time and effort training you only to find out your not going to stay.

Anyway, 99% of positions vacant here in Australia advertise the pay package on the advertisement. Is it like that where everyone else is from?

Veteran Firefly

Quote Originally posted by Radeon_Freak View Post
    Anyway, 99% of positions vacant here in Australia advertise the pay package on the advertisement. Is it like that where everyone else is from?
    I'd say so for all of the jobs I have gone for (UK). Why would I apply for a job where I didn't know what salary I would get. I need to know I can afford to pay my mortgage!