+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Onion

The Force Unleashed, Which Console?

I am a huge fan of the KOTOR series of games and I have been really excited after everything I have seen for StarWars: The Force Unleashed. I am bummed it will not be on the PC but I can live with that. I do have a PS2 but with its age will it even do it justice? I could really see getting a new console just for this game. The key thing being which console will show this game at its best? I am not just talking how the game looks but also game play as well. What do you think will be the best console for this game, Wii, 360 or PS3?

Now unrelated to this game but there is several series on both the Xbox and and Playstation I really enjoyed. I haven't really followed Nintendo games since the SNES, which I still have. As for which series I like on the Xbox and Playstation they are as follows.

Xbox

Fable
    Forza
    Ridge Racer

Playstation

GT
    Ridge Racer
    Wipeout
    Final Fanstasy

As for can see I mainly like RPGs and Racing games in Consoles. Now I have tried the controller for the Wii and I really wish all other consoles and even the PC had something like it. It is just that good. I rather not have to get two or more consoles as sadly several of the series I have found I like are exclusives.

Junior Proxycon Emperor
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • EVGA Classified X58
      • CPU:
      • i7 980x
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.4 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR 3
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • EVGA SC Nvidia 980GTX x 2 SLI
      • Sound Card:
      • Soundblaster X-FI Titainium
      • PSU:
      • Antec 1200W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Corsair 256GB SSD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64 Bit Professional

Re: The Force Unleashed, Which Console?

Wii: From the previews I've read, Wiimote integration will be pretty nice, but it remains to be seen how well it will translate into the final code. Since it's not designed from the ground up for the Wii, I have a feeling that the controls will not be as innovative as people are hoping (even though the idea of swinging around a lightsaber is pretty drool inducing). If possible, I'd nab it on a more powerful console to get the full experience.

PS3/360: I haven't seen any previews that really mentioned any major differences between the two versions. My guess would be slight graphical differences, but aside from that the controller will probably lead to the biggest differences between the two.

As far as which console to purchase, third party titles, in terms of quality, have improved quite a bit on the PS3 to the point that no major differences are present between the 360 and PS3. Sony's console has the benefit of a built-in blu-ray player (very nice for home theater) and wifi, but the 360 has much better online integration with Live and (in my opinion), a better controller and amazing exclusives. The PS3 wins points for much better hardware reliability, however.
    Last edited by Acupuncture; February 26, 2008 at 04:29.

Veteran Master Onion

PS3/360 = 1 version, Lucas Art
    Wii/PS2/PSP = 1 version, Krome Studios
    DS = 1 version, n-Space

Don't expect too much from the Wii version seriously

Junior Onion

Quote Originally posted by Setsuna View Post
    PS3/360 = 1 version, Lucas Art
    Wii/PS2/PSP = 1 version, Krome Studios
    DS = 1 version, n-Space

Don't expect too much from the Wii version seriously
    The the Wii version is kinda like a port and not one done by Lucas?

Proxycon Emperor

play the Wii version at a buddy's house or something (I'm not so sure the developer really has their heart in this). I don't expect anything but a "fun for 30 minutes" gimmick as far as lightsaber control goes. I mean, this version is the same as the ps2 and psp for cripes sake.

360 and PS3 will be your best bet imo. The physics will have no compromises, and you'll probably find a much more complete game overall (as they are the lead platforms from what I've seen).

As for which console to get...

I'd say PS3. There are great alternatives to the xbox games you listed (either available now, or coming soon). I'm sure you'll also start seeing some RPGs landing on it (there are already a coule of 360 ports) thanks to it's stronger japanese presence and lack of sales for that genre on the 360.

Though nothing, NOTHING will top the DS in that regard.
    Last edited by kinggroin; February 26, 2008 at 13:36.

Junior Proxycon Emperor
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • EVGA Classified X58
      • CPU:
      • i7 980x
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.4 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 12GB DDR 3
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • EVGA SC Nvidia 980GTX x 2 SLI
      • Sound Card:
      • Soundblaster X-FI Titainium
      • PSU:
      • Antec 1200W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Corsair 256GB SSD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64 Bit Professional

Quote Originally posted by kinggroin View Post
    I'd say PS3. There are great alternatives to the xbox games you listed (either available now, or coming soon). I'm sure you'll also start seeing some RPGs landing on it (there are already a coule of 360 ports) thanks to it's stronger japanese presence and lack of sales for that genre on the 360.

Though nothing, NOTHING will top the DS in that regard.
    I have to say I disagree. The 360, by and large, has the best library of racers with Forza 2 and PGR3/4. As far as RGPs, I'd have to go with the 360 again, sine Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are pretty solid. Granted, the PS3 will be getting Wipeout and FFXIII, but the former is more or less a refresh, and who the hell knows when final fantasy will be coming out. As far as the present, I'd say the 360 will provide many hours of enjoyment without having to wait for more exclusives. Of course, we haven't touched on multimedia/Blu-ray functionality importance, which may weigh more heavily in the PS3's direction.
    Last edited by Acupuncture; February 26, 2008 at 17:21.

Junior Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
      • Chipset:
      • Z68
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600k
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.4Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Antec Kuhler h2o 920
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1866 Mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • Galaxy GTX 670 GC Twin Fan x2
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1181Mhz Core/ 6404Mhz RAM
      • Sound Card:
      • Asus Xonar Essence ST
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Crucial M4
      • Optical Drives:
      • LiteOn DVD RW/R drive
      • Operating System:
      • Win8.1 professional 64 Bit

Well considering the game is being deved for the PS3 and then ported to the 360, my vote is the PS3, but thats me :)

Master Onion

The OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place really. Both the PS3 and 360 offer him the games he enjoys, and both systems should have overall similar versions of Force Unleashed.

That leaves him pitting the systems against one another in other areas IMO. Do you like the PS3's multimedia functionality? Or perhaps the 360's vastly superior multiplayer experience would be more important? Controller design would also weigh heavy in the choice.

In truth, given what you have provided as far as what you like, I'd say you could do no wrong with either. Both will give you what you wanna play, and both are fantastic systems. Look at what each system offers that the other does not to decide. [yes]

Finally, I agree with KG about the Wii version. It will be a port with tacked on controls that will grow tired fast. Graphics and presentation will also take massive hits. Skip it.

Veteran Master Onion

Quote Originally posted by Anjel_Few View Post
    Well considering the game is being deved for the PS3 and then ported to the 360, my vote is the PS3, but thats me :)
    no the game is being prioritised for PS3 development meaning both versions will more than likely be identical.

More and more devs are going this route now, getting the game sorted performance wise for the architecture of the PS3 and then building both versions up the same, think Burnout paradise. It's a much better way of doing things overall as moving from 360's architecture over to cell then trying to optimise for it afaik is a real hassle.

Proxycon Emperor

Quote Originally posted by Acupuncture View Post
    I have to say I disagree. The 360, by and large, has the best library of racers with Forza 2 and PGR3/4. As far as RGPs, I'd have to go with the 360 again, sine Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are pretty solid. Granted, the PS3 will be getting Wipeout and FFXIII, but the former is more or less a refresh, and who the hell knows when final fantasy will be coming out. As far as the present, I'd say the 360 will provide many hours of enjoyment without having to wait for more exclusives. Of course, we haven't touched on multimedia/Blu-ray functionality importance, which may weigh more heavily in the PS3's direction.

ok, 360 then