+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Junior Firefly
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    519

    car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    this is way off-topic, but maybe someone has had some experience.

    i have a 1997 honda civic. recently the "check engine" light lit up and it would idle pretty hard, so i took it in to the dealer. they told me that the engine would need to be replaced.

    i took the car to another shop for a second opinion, and they also said i need a new engine due to my #3 cylinder being "dead."

    my question is this: can't the cylinder be fixed? why would i have to replace the entire engine?

    the car has 157,000 miles on it, and might be worth $1,500.

    [thumbup]

  2. #2
    Firefly
    Joined
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    1,003

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    Quote Originally posted by Luminous View Post
    this is way off-topic, but maybe someone has had some experience.

    i have a 1997 honda civic. recently the "check engine" light lit up and it would idle pretty hard, so i took it in to the dealer. they told me that the engine would need to be replaced.

    i took the car to another shop for a second opinion, and they also said i need a new engine due to my #3 cylinder being "dead."

    my question is this: can't the cylinder be fixed? why would i have to replace the entire engine?

    the car has 157,000 miles on it, and might be worth $1,500.

    [thumbup]
    Wow thats kind of unheard of for a Honda with only 157,000 miles on it. I don't know what they mean by a dead cylinder. Being that the engine still idles I would assume the piston is still free to move up and down. I would have thought that it just wasn't putting a spark to that one cylinder. Have you tried changing your plugs, or taking the plug out and seeing if its putting out a spark at all? I really don't' know much about engines though. Hopefully somebody like GSXR Jack will chime in.

    Edit:

    I found this artical maybe it will help.

    http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques090_3.html
    Last edited by EnDuRaNcE; February 22, 2008 at 20:00.

  3. #3
    Junior Proxycon Emperor
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Wolverhampton UK
    Posts
    10,840

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    Dead cylinder doesnt mean anything really.

    They are going off the sound i guess as to strip the engine down and find out what the noise is will cost a fair amount of money.

    $1500 car? Not worth doing anything with unless you really love it.

  4. #4

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    I think they're saying it because the amount of hours they would spend taking apart the engine and replacing the cylinder would be just as much as putting an engine in. I've head to take off the head off my brother's civic and replace valves and headgasket and all that crap. Since we didn't do it right the first time we did it 3 times all together.. pain in the ass.

    If your car's body is in good shape and nothing else is wrong and you plan on keeping the car for a few years get the engine. 2 grand for a new engine now and you'll be good for a few years if the car's in good shape and you take care of it. Then again things could go wrong with the engine you get as well..

    You can also buy a new car 5-6 grand but who knows what's wrong with it.

    It's risky business..

  5. #5
    Junior Firefly
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    519

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    Quote Originally posted by kabal99 View Post
    I think they're saying it because the amount of hours they would spend taking apart the engine and replacing the cylinder would be just as much as putting an engine in.
    that's what i was curious about, whether or not the cylinder could be repaired. i found it odd that repairing wasn't an option, but i suppose it would make more sense to replace the engine if the time and cost was the same.

    i watched the second shop inspect the car. they started by listening to the engine and throttle. they then checked each spark plug with the engine running. when they pulled the 3rd plug the engine didn't do what it was supposed to do. when they checked the compression on the 3rd cylinder it was ~30 when it should have been 175.

    they said the engine was running on 75% power (only 3 of the 4 cylinders) and that something could go really wrong if i continued to drive it.

    the first quote for an engine replacement was $3000, the second $2600 and lastly an engine rebuild quote of $1050. the really lame thing is i just put $1200 into it in November: 150K service, new brakes, etc

  6. #6
    Veteran Master Onion
    Joined
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nessus
    Posts
    7,571

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    Quote Originally posted by Luminous View Post
    that's what i was curious about, whether or not the cylinder could be repaired. i found it odd that repairing wasn't an option, but i suppose it would make more sense to replace the engine if the time and cost was the same.

    i watched the second shop inspect the car. they started by listening to the engine and throttle. they then checked each spark plug with the engine running. when they pulled the 3rd plug the engine didn't do what it was supposed to do. when they checked the compression on the 3rd cylinder it was ~30 when it should have been 175.

    they said the engine was running on 75% power (only 3 of the 4 cylinders) and that something could go really wrong if i continued to drive it.

    the first quote for an engine replacement was $3000, the second $2600 and lastly an engine rebuild quote of $1050. the really lame thing is i just put $1200 into it in November: 150K service, new brakes, etc
    Find a decent mechanic,you should be able to get it all done for around or under $1000.

    You should be able to find the engine itself for around $500-$650,the work should be around $500. A rebuild shouldnt be $1000,I'd say look around until you find mechanic who isn't intersted in ripping you off.

  7. #7
    Emperor Apprentice
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • GA-990FXA-UD5
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • FCb
      • Chipset:
      • SB950
      • CPU:
      • FX-8120
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Stock
      • Memory:
      • GSkilld
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1866MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 850/1040
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Toshiba Q Pro 512GB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64

    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Bible Belt
    Posts
    9,737

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    You can either get it rebuilt. Shop around, you should be able to find it for pretty cheap somewhere. Even the "backyard" type mechanic shops are extremely good at what they do, and are super cheap.

    Or, find yourself an engine on ebay or a scrap car for cheap, and drop that in.


    After that tune up that you put into your car, I would get a new engine or rebuild instead of buying new if the car is in decent shape. If not, then that $1,500 goes to waste.
    Last edited by red_dog007; February 22, 2008 at 21:26.

  8. #8
    Firefly
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    loss of compression ?

    likely the bores worn or even possibly the cylinder is cracked.

    but I dinno, the first symptom can sometimes be fixed with new piston rings and piston but the problem is vague

    if you can hear piston slap then the bores worn take the head off ur self amd feel for a lip around where the piston is usuallay at tdc but ake sure the piston is a bdc by cranking the engine
    Last edited by OHP; February 22, 2008 at 21:49.

  9. #9
    Emperor Apprentice
    Joined
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    8,877

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    The first thing that came into my head was a snapped con rod. would let the rest of the engine still work fine, would trash the block, and make it more practical to just put in a new engine.

  10. #10
    Senior Onion
    Joined
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,672

    Re: car trouble - dead cylinder - replace engine?

    ^^^

    Two main reasons for low compression on a cylinder - worn rings or leaking valves. I presume they did a cylinder leakdown test to see where the leak was - I would suspect a valve*.
    I'm not sure it those engines use a mechanical (solid)or hydraulic system - if the former, you could try adjusting them and seeing if that makes a difference.
    Personally, if the engine isn't making any mechanical noises or using excessive amounts of oil, I'd probably keep driving it while putting money aside for a rebuild or replacement. Alternatively, you may wish to consider selling it as a runner for a grand or so and getting a new car.
    Very hard to second guess faults, especially if the symptoms aren't that clear.
    *At that mileage, I'd be very surprised if the rings were worn unless it has been severely abused

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts