+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Onion

192,000 Hz sample rate and bit depth on X-Fi Fatality to much?

I'am currently using 24bit, 192,000 Hz (Studio Quality) sample rate, and bit depth on a X-Fi Fatility edition under Windows Vista x64 newest drivers it sounds awsome on HD quality movies games,and music but when I play low quality video stream from the internet you can hear crackles at times kind of anoying.

Veteran Master Onion

Re: 192,000 Hz sample rate and bit depth on X-Fi Fatality to much?

welcome to the magical world of creative drivers

Junior Onion

Why are you using 192,000Hz anyway? Unless you are using a pair of professional studio monitors costing at least $10,000 you are not going to hear the difference between that at 96,000 Hz.

when you run at 192,000 Hz you put more strain on your card, it's not wonder you are getting problems... some professional cards even have issues at that rate.

Try switching down to 96Khz and see if that fixes the problem... becuase I can guarantee that unless you are listening to a ultra high end recording of a live chamber orchestra on a professional studio set-up you will not notice any difference at all.

And while you can blame Creative for this, anyone knows that just because it is supported, it does not mean it will perform perfectly... much like how graphics cards can support many feautres yet still get poor frames.

I using 192khz on my predule and i dont have your cracking problems. you try updating the drivers.

Junior Firefly

well resampling a source isn't always the best thing to do. Unless the source is 192kHz I don't see the need to use it.

Junior Onion

Drop down to 96,000 Hz sample rate, crackling is def gone as for speakers I'am currently using the Creative GigaWorks S750.

Junior Onion

Quote Originally posted by Babinnes View Post
    well resampling a source isn't always the best thing to do. Unless the source is 192kHz I don't see the need to use it.
    Agreed... and the hardware DACs in the Sound Blaster cards is not terribly proficient either. It's much better than it used to be, but don't bank on pristine real-time sample rate conversion especially when moving up to 192Khz.

What's the rest of your setup like, speaker wise, and other hardware? Just so we can get a feel of what the card is being used in conjunction with, so that we might be able to recommend your best course of action to achieve optimum audio performance.

Junior Onion

Quote Originally posted by Solid_Snake1 View Post
    Drop down to 96,000 Hz sample rate, crackling is def gone as for speakers I'am currently using the Creative GigaWorks S750.
    Okay well I would say it is just the sample rate conversion in the card giving you the issue. You can try a driver update if you want, but it just sounds like a hardware limitation, and not a fault of any kind.

Remember, a sample rate conversion of that magnitude is difficult to acheive properly in even studio quality sound cards, so it does not surprise me the X-fi Fata1ity version suffers a bit.

Try keeping it at 192,000 Hz but dropping it to 16-bit... I am guessing it might still give you issues.

Anyway, like I said earlier, 96,000 Hz is a more practical conversion, as the difference between 44,100 or even 48,000 alongside 96,000 can be noticed... but anything above that is useless on anything but a pro setup. Blur Ray and HD-DVD uses 24/96 to my knowledge so you will get some sweet sound out of those.

Junior Firefly

Quote Originally posted by _Cubase_ View Post
    Try keeping it at 192,000 Hz but dropping it to 16-bit... I am guessing it might still give you issues.
    If i still had vista on my pc i would try but I beleive the actual sound improvment comes more from the bit depth than the sampling rate. Anyways, I remember having those clipping problems while minimizing and maximizing videos on wmp @ 24/192

Emperor Apprentice

Quote Originally posted by _Cubase_ View Post
    Agreed... and the hardware DACs in the Sound Blaster cards is not terribly proficient either. It's much better than it used to be, but don't bank on pristine real-time sample rate conversion especially when moving up to 192Khz.

What's the rest of your setup like, speaker wise, and other hardware? Just so we can get a feel of what the card is being used in conjunction with, so that we might be able to recommend your best course of action to achieve optimum audio performance.
    I doubt it's the DACs problem. Also, the DACs don't do sample rate conversion - the X-Fi's main chip does. Also, I believe Digit-Life did a pretty good analysis on the SRC quality and found it to be almost as good as it gets.

Now I have a question for the original poster, without changing anything but the sample rate to say 96kHz or 48kHz, does the problem go away?