+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

roommate smoking in a supposedly "smoke free" house

The new place I'm living at was advertised by the landlord's agent as being a "smoke free house".

Anyway, one of the tenants who signed the lease around the same time I did just happens to smoke, and rather heavily. Just my luck that his room is right next to mine. When he smokes, he keeps his door shut and opens a window. The smell/smoke still manages to seep through outside his room, and sometimes a bit into my room, which is disgusting and unhealthy. I shouldn't have to put up with this.

Anyway, what should I do? The guy seems pretty hardcore. He's not huge or anything, but he does have a lot of friends and he's big on the "badass" motif (he has a big goatee/beard, has a snowboard with a skull on it, his ashtray is shaped like a skull, and he has a black and evil looking electric guitar). He seems like a decent guy though, since I've talked to him a bit. Aside from having to tell him to keep his voice down past 2AM, I've had no issues. But for some reason, I'm hesitating on telling him my issues with his smoking.

But seeing as it's either that or complain to the landlord/agent (which means he's going to hear about my complaint the BAD way anyway), I guess I should tell him about it. I'm thinking of just asking him to smoke outside, because the smoke is really bothering me and that I rented the place expecting no smokers.

What do you think? Seems a bit unrealistic to ask a heavy smoker to take every one of his smokes outside, especially when winter is right around the corner. I still can't believe I have to put up with this, having expected a "smoke free" house...

Re: roommate smoking in a supposedly "smoke free" house

Quote Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
    I still can't believe I have to put up with this, having expected a "smoke free" house...
    You don't have to "put up" with it. You have 2 options: Tell him to knock it off or report it to the landlord. Either way, he's going to stop.

Quote Originally posted by serial_carpens View Post
    You don't have to "put up" with it. You have 2 options: Tell him to knock it off or report it to the landlord. Either way, he's going to stop.
    The logic part of my brain says that. Unfortunately, I'm a big wuss when it comes to these things sometimes. It took me a whole 10 minutes to gather up the courage to tell him to keep it down last night.

I think I need to "man up".
    Last edited by Turbonium; September 17, 2007 at 00:08.

The logic part of my brain says that. Unfortunately, I'm a big wuss when it comes to these things sometimes. It took me a whole 10 minutes to gather up the courage to tell him to keep it down last night.

I think I need to "man up".
    I hear ya. I have the same problem...I avoid conflict at all costs. However, as the years go by, I'm becoming far less tolerant of things.

Senior Firefly

Yeah, if he smokes, there's no way he going to stop. The only thing that will happen is you tell the landlord, and he gets kicked out. Which, if that happens, he knows where you live...

Senior Firefly

I bet most of the smoke is passing from your windows. So with winter comming, the windows will be shut. No?

Quote Originally posted by marlfox45 View Post
    Yeah, if he smokes, there's no way he going to stop. The only thing that will happen is you tell the landlord, and he gets kicked out. Which, if that happens, he knows where you live...
    So what? You saying he wants to get charged with assault on top of eviction?

The terms were: non-smoking house. I should be legally covered. I'm being nice by telling him. I could just go straight to the landlord/agent if I wanted to.

Quote Originally posted by Kefka900 View Post
    I bet most of the smoke is passing from your windows. So with winter comming, the windows will be shut. No?
    Actually, pretty much all of it is going through the door and through the hall. He's smoking right by the door pretty much since that's where his desk is setup. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's seeping through the walls, since the house is over a 100 years old. And I gotta walk past his room to get to anywhere in the house...
    Last edited by Turbonium; September 17, 2007 at 01:19.

Junior Firefly

The new place I'm living at was advertised by the landlord's agent as being a "smoke free house".

Anyway, one of the tenants who signed the lease around the same time I did just happens to smoke, and rather heavily. Just my luck that his room is right next to mine. When he smokes, he keeps his door shut and opens a window. The smell/smoke still manages to seep through outside his room, and sometimes a bit into my room, which is disgusting and unhealthy. I shouldn't have to put up with this.

Anyway, what should I do? The guy seems pretty hardcore. He's not huge or anything, but he does have a lot of friends and he's big on the "badass" motif (he has a big goatee/beard, has a snowboard with a skull on it, his ashtray is shaped like a skull, and he has a black and evil looking electric guitar). He seems like a decent guy though, since I've talked to him a bit. Aside from having to tell him to keep his voice down past 2AM, I've had no issues. But for some reason, I'm hesitating on telling him my issues with his smoking.

But seeing as it's either that or complain to the landlord/agent (which means he's going to hear about my complaint the BAD way anyway), I guess I should tell him about it. I'm thinking of just asking him to smoke outside, because the smoke is really bothering me and that I rented the place expecting no smokers.

What do you think? Seems a bit unrealistic to ask a heavy smoker to take every one of his smokes outside, especially when winter is right around the corner. I still can't believe I have to put up with this, having expected a "smoke free" house...
    Mention to him that it is a smoke-free house, and it goes against the lease. Bring about how you don't really want to find another place to live either, so if he wants to keep the lease, he should probably stop smoking inside [or something like that].

You can just ask him to put a fan in his window to vent the smoke.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P9X79
      • Chipset:
      • X79
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3930K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.2 Ghz w/ 1.2v
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H60 w/ 2 Fans
      • Memory:
      • Geil Enhance Corsa DDR3 32GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600 Mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD HD 7870 2GB
      • Video Card Speed:
      • Stock
      • Sound Card:
      • Bgears B-Enspirer CM-8788
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 850W XXX Edition
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Crucial M4 C400 256GB SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB x2
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Blu Ray Burner
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Ask him to smoke outside. You definitely shouldn't put up with that.