Emperor Apprentice

Re: Can CRT monitors play HD videos?

Quote Originally posted by the_travis_s View Post
    Because the physical size of the monitor matters! The larger the monitor, the more streched out the pixels. The more streched out, the worse it looks. Watch a 480p video on a 60" TV then watch something in 1080p and see a huge difference. Do the same on a 19" monitor and see basically no difference. A PC monitor is too small to show the benefit of HD content.
    Ah okay, I think Im getting it now. The bigger the screen, the more IQ profits from HD. So basically HDTV on "normal sized" PC monitors is a waste then?

Junior Master Onion

Quote Originally posted by Streifenkarl View Post
    Ah okay, I think Im getting it now. The bigger the screen, the more IQ profits from HD. So basically HDTV on "normal sized" PC monitors is a waste then?
    I don't think that is true, since you sit so close to a PC monitor compared to a TV. HDTV on normal sized PC monitors is not a waste, if it was, then we might as well be gaming in 640x480.

CRTs have the problem of being slightly more unclear and less sharp than TFTs at the optimal resolution, because the light must travel through a lot of glass. Also, the sharpness greatly depends on how much the electrons should be "bent". Call this free AA.
    So either you like it, or you don't...

Proxycon Emperor

Quote Originally posted by Aira View Post
    CRTs have the problem of being slightly more unclear and less sharp than TFTs at the optimal resolution, because the light must travel through a lot of glass. Also, the sharpness greatly depends on how much the electrons should be "bent". Call this free AA.
    CRT is far more sharper than normal TV, the differences between CRT and TFT are not enough to cause quality loss at such low "high-res". so CRT/TFT isn't the factor since the codec be cause MORE bluring than the display.
    [rofl]

Junior Onion

This is also true, the closer you sit the more important it is.

Here's a nifty chart:
    http://www.carltonbale.com/wp-conten...tion_chart.png

Veteran Master Onion

Quote Originally posted by Streifenkarl View Post
    no. As long as the video is the appropriate size, so that 1pixel = 1 pixel on your screen, you will see benefit especially on crts with superior dot pitches.

Senior Onion

Download an apple movie trailer at regular web size, then download one at 720p even. If you can't see the difference, then, you won't see the difference.

There is more difference to HD than size. There is a higher range of colors as well. So, the colors are more true, because they have extra bits to store that info. You get less color shift than on NTSC or standard web streaming video in some ASF format or something.

Quote Originally posted by blinddonkey View Post
    There is more difference to HD than size. There is a higher range of colors as well. So, the colors are more true, because they have extra bits to store that info. You get less color shift than on NTSC or standard web streaming video in some ASF format or something.
    Completely not true. Any color enhancement benefits would be due to using better compression techniques and is a side effect of some HD content out there.

Senior Onion

Quote Originally posted by Dibrom View Post
    Completely not true. Any color enhancement benefits would be due to using better compression techniques and is a side effect of some HD content out there.
    As far as I know, all HDTV formats have a wider color range than NTSC. I'm not sure about DTV though.

This is why NTSC is often referred to Never The Same Color...

Veteran Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • ASUS P7P55D PRO
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 860 @ 4GHz
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Video Card(s):
      • AMD Radeon R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 850W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64

To see a difference between a 480p video and a 720p video on a monitor
    1- if you played both videos at zoom 100% window ( the 480p will look smaller)...the quality will look the same because both will be running at their native pixel resolution

2- To see the difference stretch to full screen...the 480p video will have to get stretched to fill your 1200 line resolution...the 720p will be stretched to 1200 lines

What do you think should look better?..although at the crt monitor size difference isn't that noticeable....HD content is nothing more than a higher resolution video...thats all ( if we ignored the encoding type or if we assumed that all videos are being encoded the same way)

Emperor Apprentice

Quote Originally posted by Mantis View Post
    no. As long as the video is the appropriate size, so that 1pixel = 1 pixel on your screen, you will see benefit especially on crts with superior dot pitches.
    Well, that was what I meant in my very first post here: The video WAS displayed in its original size but still didnt look better than anything else. I dont know about the dot pitch of my CRT, but I doubt its that bad since it was one of the better CRTs of the time.