It seems that there are some users that can't get 3DMark06 to run in Windows Vista, and namely in Vista 64 bit. Here are some steps you should take in case you can't get 3DMark06 to run:
1. Please only use our official mirrors if you are about to download 3DMark06. We can't control what other un-official sites are hosting. Check our official mirrors from here: http://www.futuremark.com/download/3dmark06/
2. Make sure that the version of 3DMark06 is 1.1.0 (latest one)
3. You need to install everyting that comes with the 3DMark06 installer (OpenAL, DX Update and obviously 3DMark06)
4. If you are running Vista 64 bit you will also need to install a separate OpenAL installer:
5. In some cases (we haven't been able to reproduce them in our labs) the DX update doesn't install or install correctly. It is required to install it for 3DMark06 to run, so please download the latest DX updated here:
6. Install the latest available WHQL drivers from your graphics card vendor (FM Approved prefered)
Another thing you may want to look into in case you are experiencing "Lost Device" errors in Vista when running 3DMark06, is Vista's TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery). You can find more info about it (and how to disable/edit it) here:
Please note that playing around in your registry is not recommended unless you have experience with it.
I hope this will help. Do keep in mind that Windows Vista 64 bit is not an officially supported OS for 3DMark06. I'll leave this thread open in case you guys have some comments.