DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Workload work failed with error message:
    eva::d3d11::rendering::scene_renderer::render():
    draw_depth_task for thread 0: File:
    device_context.cpp
    Line: 515
    Function: struct ID3D11CommandList *__cdecl
    eva::d3d11::deferred_device_context::do_finish_com mand_list(bool)

Expression: native()->FinishCommandList( restore_deferred_context_state, &result): DX11 call failed.

Device hung due to badly formed commands.
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG:
    ID3D11DeviceContext::FinishCommandList:

I got this error while testing my PC on everything max with 3DMark 2011 Advanced Edition. I have an issue where no matter how long I've been playing, games freeze and kick me out the desktop so I wanted to test my PC to make sure the issue might be from the graphics card. Ive just bought a new PSU (one I had before was High Power Absolute 650W) for 200 dollars but its wasted as the issue is still occuring (Max Payne 3, SWTOR, Ghost Recon Future Soldier are the games I've tried so far.). My drivers are all up-to-date. Its not overheat or dust either cause ive cleaned my tower inside out. My system;

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Intel i7 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB
    Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
    Asus ATI Radeon HD6970 2GB
    G-Skill (2x2) 4GB 2133MHZ DDR 3
    120 GB Kingston SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD
    SeaSonic 850W M12II-850Bronze PSU
    Thermaltake BWS6000 Armor High Tower
    Logitech G19 keyboard and G700 mouse
    27` LED Philips 273E(LH) monitor
    Logitech Z5500 5+1 sound system

Last edited by Warhurst; June 30, 2012 at 17:08.

Futuremark Staff

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Hard to say, but it sounds like a hardware problem. The obvious way to determine the root cause would be to swap bits one by one (and start with a video card) but I can understand how such troubleshooting may be problematic for a home user without a stock of spares on hand to use for testing... But if you ask me, the probable causes are 1. Video Card, 2. RAM modules, 3. Motherboard. RAM at least is easy to test (Vista and Windows 7 include a RAM tester in the boot menu of the install DVD, or if you don't have one handy, it can be downloaded here; http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp (needs to be installed to a bootable CD)

Re: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Yea well I've tested my RAM with memtest86 and no issues there. Than I plugged in my brother's Asus ATI HD5850 and test ran without any issues and on top of that none of the games freeze/crash anymore. So thats my HD6970 causing this. Its been hardly a year since I bought it and its already broken. Going to send it to technical support! Thanks for the tips! :) I have to use the crappy Intel 3000 onboard GPU till this one is fixed and god its awful can't even launch Ghost Recon Future Soldier :(