Basic Overclocking Question – Ivy Bridge

Hi all,

I’ve been out of the OC game for a long time and am having a few issues working through all the settings on my new i5 3570K / MSI Z77A GD65.

The processor by default is 3.4GHz with a x34 multiplier. At stock I understand it can automatically turbo boost to 3.8GHz.

However, if I up the multiplier to x42, will this only be the turbo boost speed or the new the default setting? From what I have see it seems to make it the default, but does that mean it can automatically turbo boost above x42?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Cheers,

Matt.

Re: Basic Overclocking Question – Ivy Bridge

Quote Originally posted by ChaosAngel View Post
    Hi all,

I’ve been out of the OC game for a long time and am having a few issues working through all the settings on my new i5 3570K / MSI Z77A GD65.

The processor by default is 3.4GHz with a x34 multiplier. At stock I understand it can automatically turbo boost to 3.8GHz.

However, if I up the multiplier to x42, will this only be the turbo boost speed or the new the default setting? From what I have see it seems to make it the default, but does that mean it can automatically turbo boost above x42?

Sorry for the basic questions.

Cheers,

Matt.
    When you change the multiplier to overclock, turboboost is disabled automatically. At x42, it will run at 4200 Mhz assumming the base clock is 100 Mhz.