Re: Beats by dre (mk.2)...

Quote Originally posted by StonedOne View Post
    Are you the sort of person that buys super expensive HDMI cables and speaker wire ?
    Expensive HDMI cables are a gimmick because it's a digital signal, but higher quality analogue interconnects do enhance sound quality.

My issue is that you are confusing what is actually a high-end product and what is marketing.

Veteran Onion

Quote Originally posted by dangermoose View Post
    My issue is that you are confusing what is actually a high-end product and what is marketing.
    So why do you insist on buying "beats by dr dre" headphones !?
    Last edited by StonedOne; April 17, 2012 at 01:32.

Expensive HDMI cables are a gimmick because it's a digital signal, but higher quality analogue interconnects do enhance sound quality.

That is a some serious hypocracy there comming from someone who just said "beats are the best headphones for electronic music, end of story"

I think YOU are the one confusing high end product and marketing lol.
    Last edited by CorrupT88; April 17, 2012 at 01:33.

Junior Proxycon Emperor

higher quality analogue interconnects do enhance sound quality.
    Another thing for which there's no evidence. At least not for any practical application like home audio.

So why do you insist on buying "beats by dr dre" headphones !?
    Because. I. Like. How. They. Sound. With. The. Music. I. Want. To. Listen. To. On. Them.

I don't want to brag, but the cost was inconsequential to me. I found a pair of headphones that sound good (to me) with dance music, so I bought them. I'm not going to spend ages stressing about whether or not I got the best deal possible after that when I can think of a million better things to do than spend weeks choosing some headphones.

"high end audio" is driven via marketing and hearsay.
    Thats not really true at all... Consumer audio is driven by marketing and hearsay but high end audio is not.

Veteran Onion

Quote Originally posted by CorrupT88 View Post
    That is a some serious hypocracy there comming from someone who just said "beats are the best headphones for electronic music, end of story"

I think YOU are the one confusing high end product and marketing lol.
    Well, isn't this is the same person that would rather have an automatic Impreza than a manual. The mind boggles. lol

Onion Emperor
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus Z87 Deluxe
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • Latest Beta
      • Chipset:
      • Z87
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770k
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.5Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • D-Tek FuZioN
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Patriot Viper Xtreme Division 2
      • Memory Speed:
      • 2400Mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • nVidia (Zotac) GTX680
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1300/1800
      • Sound Card:
      • On-board
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 1000W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Kingston V200+ SATA6 120GB, Seagate 'Cuda 2TB SATA6
      • Optical Drives:
      • None
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro

"high end audio" is driven via marketing and hearsay.

Look at the cables and things people buy. People like to buy things with premium prices because they have been told that this means a "better" sounding product. When clearly when talking about audio there comes a point where this is just utter rubbish.

Is hagen das ice cream really any "better" than supermarket own brand ? Well that is subjective, but people think it is and will tell you all day long it is. Its a premium price and everyone says its "better". So it must be. Its different but is it really "better".

I mean how much longer can you go on making audio "better". 100 years? 1000 years? In 1000 years will heaphones sounds SO MUCH "BETTER" than the ones now ? If so, in what way ? At what point does a recoding of a violin playing become "perfect". It wont, it never will, even if it is actually measurably identical to hearing one live. People will still say that x y and z headphone is "better".

And so the cycle continues with marketing and reviewers getting back handers left right and center. Its a huge business that wont stop anytime soon. But there is a point where it becomes just a circus of marketing and subjective opinions. That is if it hasn't already reached that point already....
    Another gem from you sir. Can you make a shorter version so i could put it my sig? Not sure on size limit for text sigs.

Quote Originally posted by valtterieranen View Post
    Another thing for which there's no evidence. At least not for any practical application like home audio.
    Nonsense. What Hifi always tests systems with multiple interconnects. They don't have to be more expensive to be better.

I don't agree with it myself, but if people are spending 10k on a system, it is fair to assume that they will be spending about 10% of the budget on interconnects. It all comes down to being the best. The devil is in the detail and you don't think Apple got to be so wealthy by saying "that'll do" all the time do you?

Veteran Onion

Quote Originally posted by QuadDamage View Post
    Another gem from you sir. Can you make a shorter version so i could put it my sig? Not sure on size limit for text sigs.
    No. **** off.

--- Post Update ---

What Hifi etc etc

Exactly what I was getting at. ROFL
    Last edited by StonedOne; April 17, 2012 at 01:38.