Senior Onion

Where to buy new BIOS chip for older PC?

I need to resusitate an old ASUS A8N32-SLI (rev 1.01) motherboard that, IIRC (been a couple of years or so), has a corrupted BIOS that followed a bad monitoring program installation (had a core at 250C, idle, when it was running.
    There used to be some businesses that sold new BIOS chips, with the option of the latest version, for socketed motherboards - anyone know of a reliable one? I'm in the process of contacting Badflash.com - anyone know about them?
    In the interim, I'll be putting a bare system together and seeing if I can find a BIOS and loading program for it that I can boot, and flash, from.

thanks.

--- Post Update ---

Found the BIOS and several update programs to update with - I think I have a floppy drive and discs somewhere but if it's possible, it'd be a lot easier if I boot from a USB stick with the programs loaded (also some of the optional programs are WAY to big for a floppy) - are there going to be any issues from doing this?
    I haven't tried it like this before as I normally do BIOS updates through Windows and haven't used the floppy method in many years - obviously, the former is not an option in this case.
    Last edited by Gordo; April 6, 2012 at 14:48.

Junior Master Onion

Re: Where to buy new BIOS chip for older PC?

NVM, I read it wrong.
    Last edited by NukemNazi; April 6, 2012 at 19:53.

Firefly

To clarify. Does the pc boot? If it does then I don't know why you would want to get a replacement chip. I'd just re flash it.

If you are unsure of how to create a bootable usb drive from which to attempt the flash go here.

http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Senior Onion

Thanks for the link, mate, as I recall, it was unstable, frequently needing several attempts to boot after loading the utility and uninstalling it ddn't make much difference. I just put it aside and used another m/b that worked for several years as a backup system. The replacement cooked it's chipset (seized fan) and now I'm looking to get the original board working, if possible, as otherwise it'd be a M/B, RAM and CPU upgrade that I really don't want to do - $$$ are a lot tighter nowadays .
    It was a high end setup in it's day (FX60 and 2G of fast RAM), shame to dump it all.

Firefly

If you can get it to boot then load cmos defaults, then set the pc to boot from usb reflash the bios. If after doing that the bios is still not stable then maybe replacing the chip might help.

Since you are down under you could get one from here I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIOS-Chip-...item3ca5cdfd32

I've personally used this seller before but as he is based in wales i doubt it would make sense.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-A8N32...item4164380fe1
    Last edited by bigbloke; April 7, 2012 at 16:15.

Senior Onion

Ah, good, thanks - checking if the latter can also do a LanPart chipset as well, that I dragged out - at least one of the 'boards should work, I hope...

BIOS CHIP

BIOS CHIP

I can help with all plcc32 and dip 8 spi chips

sincerely chris

Senior Onion
    Thanks, Chris, but I got it sorted