I posted this on the Steam forums, but I might as well put it here, maybe some new players read these boards too. here I go.
We all heard about the lack of players and the lack of populated servers in Shattered Horizon. People tried to warn you, "don't buy this game, nobody will play with you"! Some even says the game is dead...
Shattered Horizon's golden age is sure behind, playing it in 2012 is not what it used to be. But bear with me, there is hope! It is not as bad as it sounds, and even today, you can enjoy the game quite a lot and find some friendly astronauts willing to play with you.
So you just bought the game despite the fear of finding yourself alone out there in space. You played it for the first time, and sure enough, you were alone, you didn't find anyone to play with.
It may be so. But don't conclude that the game is dead, it would be a hasty judgment and also your first step to miss the ton of fun matches that you will soon have if you persevere a little bit.
So here are some tips to enjoy Shattered Horizon to its fullest as it is with its community in 2012.
- You may feel discouraged because you just found yourself in an empty server. Don't let it lead you to believe that nobody plays Shattered Horizon anymore! Be positive, there is a bunch of regular players that are here everyday! You just were unlucky this time.
- Check the weekly leaderboards, they are never empty and you can figure out who is playing the most this week : http://stats.shatteredhorizon.com/st...rBoards.action
- Try to check the servers at different hours. There are chances that some players do not live in the same time zone as you do, and they will sometimes play at times when you won't expect people to play.
- Check the servers statistics, you can almost see a live tracking of the players there, thought don't rely only on this. The best use you can have out of it is to identify the most played hours (the time is in GMT, be sure to convert to your time zone). Click and drag in an area of the plot to see more details:
Credits to LoganDougall for the statistics.
- Check what are playing people in the members list of Shattered Horizon related groups on Steam. This is especially useful if you identified some regular players, you can track their activity this way, and see when they are playing Shattered Horizon.
Here are some groups you can check:
Shattered Horizon official group (not that useful because of the large amount of inactive players in the group)
Shattered Horizon's french players
group of players who participated in the closed beta of Shattered Horizon
MMC Legends group
Shave "Shattered Horizon" group
- If there are players, and if they are good, very good (some are extremely good), don't rage quit. Be friendly, ask them for advice to become better, I'm pretty sure they will help you as they helped me. And you will make more friends to play with this way!
- Be friendly with the other players, maybe they will let you add them on your Steam friends list and it will be easier for you to see when they are playing. It is the easiest way to play Shattered Horizon with other people, play when they play!
Keep in mind that most players do not like to have a ton of people in their friends list, so only do this after becoming a little acquainted with them and only if you are sure to play Shattered Horizon quite a bit! Don't be invasive, becoming friends can take time. If you get them to like you too, when they will see that you are playing, they will join you when you most need them to not be alone.
This is what I did when I started playing Shattered Horizon, almost a month ago. I since met a bunch of very friendly players ingame, and I never play alone anymore, there are people to play with me everyday.
I hope that these tips will help you to enjoy the game more, and I hope to meet some of you in space next time!
Oh and yeah we're still in 2011. Whatever.