+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Firefly

Windows 7 hangs on shutdown

When I cliick Start > Shutdown I see the 'shutting down' screen and the little twirly thing. But then it stops twirling and hangs there

After about 4 minutes the system restarts and says it's recovered from an error. I did some googling and created a shutdown.bat script which did used to work, but now the system hangs with that aswell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using Windows 7 Pro 64bit and it's updated.

Junior Firefly

Re: Windows 7 hangs on shutdown

Found this:

Thumb resize.

I'm gonna install 11.11c Catalyst drivers after doing a clean sweep of the current drivers and see if that fixes it

PS Anyone how do I align pictures so they dont break forum violations? This pic is too wide
    Last edited by el_rasho; December 7, 2011 at 23:36.

Junior Firefly

It works! It was my 11.11b drivers causing this problem all along, weird how it only kicked in two days ago.

I installed 11.11c after using drive sweeper and now my PC shuts down as normal :) I did the customer install and removed the HDMI Audio drivers. This little tool I found is pretty handy: Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Performance Information and Tools -> Advanced Tools -> Generate a System Health Report.
    Last edited by el_rasho; December 8, 2011 at 00:08.

Junior Firefly

Didn't work :( the problem came back and still showing those 3 reports :(

Junior Firefly

I tried this since I have an Asus P7P55D-Pro mobtherboard:

Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

Seems to have worked, fingers crossed it stays like this

Junior Firefly

Guys I really need help with this one, I still cant get my PC to shutdown properly! Is there a way I can do a Windows 7 repair using the DVD? I can see Upgrade but that will install another copy of Windows!

Junior Onion

Is your card overclocked? Since when did that start to happen? I would just make a restoration to a previous point to see if the problem goes away, since I'm not sure if it is just a software problem...

If it still happens, don't turn the computer off, just suspend it. That's what i do :P

Here's the suggestions I can think of:

- Shut down all programs before shutting down computer, seeing that the computer tries to shut them down

- Run harddisk scans with programs like Tune Up Utilities 2012, you could probably find a free one somewhere

- A wild one here, but make sure your recycling bin is empty - I have had problems with starting up and shutting down with this one, mainly because I had accidently deleted it

- If all else fails, you may need to re-install

Banned

Do you have w7 installed on an ssd?

If so...if you didnt install w7 in ahci mode it can give you problems.
    Last edited by Crazy In Bed; February 12, 2012 at 04:03.

can you enlighten me?

Quote Originally posted by Crazy In Bed View Post
    Do you have w7 installed on an ssd?

If so...if you didnt install w7 in ahci mode it can give you problems.
    I have the same problem. Tried to repair, but didn't work, perhaps I did something wrong. Then I did system restore to a date some time ago (2 months), which fixed problem for a couple of days. Now it is happening again. What does instal in ahci mode mean? I just followed prompts, so don't know if that would be the case. I have updated drivers some time ago. Any help much appreciated. Windows 7-64bit, SSD and HDD.