+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Junior Onion
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,861

    Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Well great, it seem after about 10 to 20 minutes I get a nice generic error box popping up with "svchost.exe - Application Error" and then this message "the exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a3c0". I'm hoping someone can decode Microsoft talk and tell me what on Earth might be causing that. I have tried uninstalling and then installing new audio drivers but that's a no go. I haven't really messed with anything and this just started happening about a day ago. I even rolled back windows to three days ago but I still get this error. What happens is that my audio device (Soundblaster Audigy) just acts like it was never installed until I restart and then it's back fine. If I happen to be playing a video or song file when this happens then that file will play fine until I close the program, when I reopen it there is no audio at all since it thinks I donít have an audio card. I would REALLY like to not have to do a full OS install since I have everything else streamlined and working perfect, this damn Fing audio problem just popped up for no reason and I want to fix it.


    God I can't wait until I have the money to buy a Mac, seriously, Microsoft needs to improve by about 10,000% or they're just going to see a steady stream of users picking up Macs. Hardly a day goes by that I don't advise someone about which Mac to buy because I over hear them talking about how they're going to switch and buy a Mac, almost all my friends now have them rather then PC's, and even my grandparents and some of my uncles are thinking about switching to Mac. F you windows, F you to hell!


    http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4669/sounddeadlm3.jpg

  2. #2
    Veteran Onion
    Joined
    May 2000
    Location
    Korea Republic, Sol 3
    Posts
    4,458

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Told ya, Andy... get a Mac. ;)

    On the topic, maybe your Audigy is having a hardware problem (e.g. some internal conflict, or some components going defective)? Also, did this happen out of blue or have you done anything to your system recently?

  3. #3

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Quote Originally posted by acarney View Post
    Well great, it seem after about 10 to 20 minutes I get a nice generic error box popping up with "svchost.exe - Application Error" and then this message "the exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x5b86a3c0". I'm hoping someone can decode Microsoft talk and tell me what on Earth might be causing that. I have tried uninstalling and then installing new audio drivers but that's a no go. I haven't really messed with anything and this just started happening about a day ago. I even rolled back windows to three days ago but I still get this error. What happens is that my audio device (Soundblaster Audigy) just acts like it was never installed until I restart and then it's back fine. If I happen to be playing a video or song file when this happens then that file will play fine until I close the program, when I reopen it there is no audio at all since it thinks I donít have an audio card. I would REALLY like to not have to do a full OS install since I have everything else streamlined and working perfect, this damn Fing audio problem just popped up for no reason and I want to fix it.


    God I can't wait until I have the money to buy a Mac, seriously, Microsoft needs to improve by about 10,000% or they're just going to see a steady stream of users picking up Macs. Hardly a day goes by that I don't advise someone about which Mac to buy because I over hear them talking about how they're going to switch and buy a Mac, almost all my friends now have them rather then PC's, and even my grandparents and some of my uncles are thinking about switching to Mac. F you windows, F you to hell!


    http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/4669/sounddeadlm3.jpg
    From my understandind it's not MS fault but more about creative... MS is not responsible of the bad coding quality of third party drivers or even hardware quality of creative sound card. And your computer still work fine just without sound. MS has done a good job here.

  4. #4

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    well well well......look at my post

    http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14976


  5. #5

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    btw do you have an onboard soundcard?

  6. #6
    Emperor Apprentice
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • GigaByte Z68AP-D3
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • F6
      • Chipset:
      • Intel Z68
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.5Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Arctic Cooler Freezer 13
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1600Mhz
      • Video Card(s):
      • HD3850
      • Video Card Speed:
      • Stock
      • Sound Card:
      • on board
      • PSU:
      • Enermax
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Crucial M4 128GB
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Blu/HD DVD drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 SP1 64Bit

    Joined
    Mar 2001
    Location
    London, England!
    Posts
    9,452

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    This is very bizarre, ive just reinstalled Windows, completely clean, slipstreamed with SP2 and all the patches up to end of July on a brand new Intel 965 motherboard and get the same svchost error and sound cutting out. This is with Intels HD Azalia onboard audio.

    I have been searching for a fix, and have no idea where to look, how to start.


    Just out of curiosity when did your errors begin to start? My first record of them shows up as the 12th of Aug. (XP Pro can check Event view in Control Panel).

  7. #7

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Hmm, I just autoupdated all of windows xp security and patches up to August and haven't had a svchost error since.........

    I think a patch is what fixed it

  8. #8
    Senior Onion
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Quote Originally posted by DsK View Post
    This is very bizarre, ive just reinstalled Windows, completely clean, slipstreamed with SP2 and all the patches up to end of July on a brand new Intel 965 motherboard and get the same svchost error and sound cutting out. This is with Intels HD Azalia onboard audio.

    I have been searching for a fix, and have no idea where to look, how to start.


    Just out of curiosity when did your errors begin to start? My first record of them shows up as the 12th of Aug. (XP Pro can check Event view in Control Panel).
    I'm not totally sure but I beleive this is related to a problem with your intel driver and Windows XP Service pack 2. To be more specific, Data Execution Prevention (DEP).

    So assuming I'm correct and it just isn't a case of a new driver (or a missing bios option) have a read through this: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../depcnfxp.mspx

    It may also be a possibility that there could have been a problem with the slipstream disk, assuming you've used an application such as LiteOS it's more than possible to completly destroy an operating system. Cut out options etc

    Good luck

  9. #9
    Junior Onion
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    Richland, WA
    Posts
    2,861

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    Quote Originally posted by foudres View Post
    From my understandind it's not MS fault but more about creative... MS is not responsible of the bad coding quality of third party drivers or even hardware quality of creative sound card. And your computer still work fine just without sound. MS has done a good job here.
    Really, svchost is made by Creative? I was pretty sure it was an MS file, and by the way, the same Creative drivers had worked for more then a year, why stop now?

    Quote Originally posted by Fumang View Post
    btw do you have an onboard soundcard?
    Nope

    Quote Originally posted by DsK View Post
    This is very bizarre, ive just reinstalled Windows, completely clean, slipstreamed with SP2 and all the patches up to end of July on a brand new Intel 965 motherboard and get the same svchost error and sound cutting out. This is with Intels HD Azalia onboard audio.

    I have been searching for a fix, and have no idea where to look, how to start.


    Just out of curiosity when did your errors begin to start? My first record of them shows up as the 12th of Aug. (XP Pro can check Event view in Control Panel).
    I'm almost sure they just started happening yesterday... this is very odd

  10. #10
    Senior Onion
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    UK, London
    Posts
    3,121

    Re: Svchost explodes in WinXP, sound mixer disappears until a restart

    svhost = service host... It's just the file which launches/hosts the actual file.... So ms may not be to blame

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts