+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Onion

GT5 - Gran Turismo All Stars (Expert series)

How the F are you supposed to beat this one? You are up against actual race cars with 700-1000hp that corner like a dream.

The race series itself is level 19 required, but like 80% of the cars are level 22-23 required to drive them.

Now you don't need a race car to enter the series so I brought in my Veyron, but it turns like a brick and the speed on the straightaways don't make up for it. Not against these types of opponents.

I tried my Ferrari 458 Italia(upgraded to ~680hp, any more than that and it becomes a handful in corners) and I had moderate success with it but first place is ALWAYS some crazy 950hp+ Le Mans class race car which I have no chance of competing with. The Vipers and Corvettes and other GT2/GT1 class racers I can stay ahead of but damn no chance against that one Le Mans class ALWAYS upfront.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm level 19 which is level appropriate and I have most/all of my special events completed up to this level. I could prolly get to 20 by going for all golds but that still won't get me the kind of race car I need for this. Straight-line speed isn't going to cut it. It HAS to be a race car with racing capable handling as well as speed.

I have the gamestop preorder bonus but the Stealth MacLaren F1 nor the NASCAR have any more success. Infact I do worse in the MacLaren because it oversteers like a mofo so easily since there is very little downforce and no option to add a rear wing.

I'm really at a loss how to beat this one until I get to level 23 elsewhere somehow magically and then either win or buy(4m+ credits, only have 1.3m atm) a Le Mans class racer somewhere.

Senior Onion

Re: GT5 - Gran Turismo All Stars (Expert series)

Have you tried the Mazda Furai Concept?
    Handles like a dream and goes like stink. [thumbup]

if not it's the reward car from the class b NR-A Roadster cup

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Alienware X51
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • A14
      • Chipset:
      • Intel H61
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Bridge 3570K
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Custom
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 8GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • DDR3-1333
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX650 OC 2GB
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1200Mhz
      • Sound Card:
      • Dell Audio by Realtek
      • PSU:
      • Delta Electronics 240W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 256GB Samsung 840Pro
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Slot loader DVDRW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Quote Originally posted by TigerHawk View Post
    but first place is ALWAYS some crazy 950hp+ Le Mans class race car which I have no chance of competing with. The Vipers and Corvettes and other GT2/GT1 class racers I can stay ahead of but damn no chance against that one Le Mans class ALWAYS upfront.
    That in general really pisses me off about GT5, in all the races theres always 1 or 2 cars that are leagues ahead of anything else...and its usually some concept car or rare oddball car that would never be in the same category as the others if it were a real race

So if i want to have a nice tight race with the pack i cant...because i need a car with power thats going to match that one that always goes up front. Sure with the right car i can win, but its just no fun racing in GT5 i do the races just to win cars and buy cars, but the racing is hugely unsatisfying, doing the licenses and tyring to get gold/silver is more fun than actually racing...which is sad.

The racing mechanics in GT5 feel really really dated [thumbdown] the more ive been playing the more dissapointed ive been getting...i almost fell of my chair when i won the Veyron...which is such a low poly ugly mess that looks like something a 1st year design student made for a project...5 years ago.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • ASUS N53SV-DH51
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2430M
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • DDR3 1333
      • Video Card(s):
      • GT 540M
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 160GB Intel X25-M G2
      • Optical Drives:
      • BD-ROM
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 HP x64

I think the same could be said about Forza 3. Always one car way above the rest, which means no real "racing," just driving.

Senior Onion

Quote Originally posted by Dolfan269 View Post
    I think the same could be said about Forza 3. Always one car way above the rest, which means no real "racing," just driving.
    In races where there is a performance index limitation(most) you can't have that. All the vehicles are in say D class which is 200-300 PI I think which means the best car can't be that much better than the worst one in the lineup.

In most GT5 races there are no such limitations. At most they have to be from a certain country or weigh a certain weight, that's it with few exceptions(K-cup challenge or roadster challenge etc)

I still haven't won this but I've been timing my laps on the first championship race which is trial mountain raceway. So far the best car for me in practice is that Furai. My best lap is like 1:21.something whereas with my Italia 458 it's about 1:24.something and the Veyron is like 1:28.something cause I can't get it around corners. The Stealth MacLaren is around the 1:24.something mark as well.

With the Furai or however you spell it I can consistently stay ahead of 2nd to last place now but the car upfront is always something stupid that I can't even stay close to because it can take the fast corners faster than I can go on the straights. [thumbdown]

If I had a Le Mans class racer this series wouldn't be much of a problem but I've not won one anywhere(Already finished Polyphony Digital series after this All Stars one and got...I forget what but it wasn't very good) and if you want to buy one even in the used section they are at least 4 million credits and I am barely into 1 million.

This is stupid. [no]

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Alienware X51
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • A14
      • Chipset:
      • Intel H61
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Bridge 3570K
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Custom
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 8GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • DDR3-1333
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX650 OC 2GB
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1200Mhz
      • Sound Card:
      • Dell Audio by Realtek
      • PSU:
      • Delta Electronics 240W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 256GB Samsung 840Pro
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Slot loader DVDRW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Quote Originally posted by TigerHawk View Post
    I
    If I had a Le Mans class racer this series wouldn't be much of a problem but I've not won one anywhere(Already finished Polyphony Digital series after this All Stars one and got...I forget what but it wasn't very good) and if you want to buy one even in the used section they are at least 4 million credits and I am barely into 1 million.

This is stupid. [no]
    Well im doing the special challenges at gold level to save up and buy an F1 car for some of the expert races (they are unrestricted so it should be allowed).

Though im only at 1.05 Million at the moment...and i need either 10 or 12.5 million so its going to take a while...Earning money is so damn hard in this game, you get less than half of the value of the cars you have if you sell, no money for parts either [rolleyes].
    Also most of the cars you win are useless, firstly 90% of them are standard cars that look horrible, you never get to use to use them anyway...i mean whats the point of me winning a Citroen 2CV or Guiletta sprint 1600 if im already competing in the pro events ? Most of the classes are unrestricted and ill never get a chance to use those cars or id have to spend an insane amount of modding just to make it competitive...money id never earn back.
    And then some of them you cant even sell...even though they show up in the used car dealership for lots of money, like the embarrasingly low poly Acura concept which shows up in the dealership for 700k credits...but only can be removed from your garage not sold for potentially 350k (though ive never got more than 90k for a standard car even though that was way less than half value).
    Also that stupid standard model SLR i won i cant sell either...why give me a standard model one and force me to keep it when theres already a premium model SLR in the game ?[cursing]

I like the game...ive been playing it non stop but its really infuriating at times, with the 6 years it took it feels like nobody at polyphony actually played it to see what its like as a GAME. [thumbdown]

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Alienware X51
      • Motherboard BIOS:
      • A14
      • Chipset:
      • Intel H61
      • CPU:
      • Ivy Bridge 3570K
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Custom
      • Memory:
      • Kingston 8GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • DDR3-1333
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX650 OC 2GB
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1200Mhz
      • Sound Card:
      • Dell Audio by Realtek
      • PSU:
      • Delta Electronics 240W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 256GB Samsung 840Pro
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Slot loader DVDRW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Hey TigerHawk have you beat this yet ?

Ive managed to win each race individually but i cant win the championship since if I make one mistake its over since the main AI car pretty much cake walks it.

I took Spinner_DCC advice and used the Mazda for the first 4 races. You need to make sure suspension and transmission settings are correct for EACH track esp Nurburgring (its a pain i know) and you need stage 3 engine and turbo upgrade as well as soft racing tires and rigidity.
    This car is good enough for the first four races but you cant win the last race in Tokyo with it since youll get nailed on the straights and due to the low weight and size of the car you wont be able to block for more than 2 laps, once the Le mans cars get ahead its over you wont overtake them...ive managed to keep up but not overtake.

For the last track i won it using a fully modified Veyron, tweaked ALOT so that i can get it to corner properly ( racing suspension [drop the front, raise the rear], LSD [dec front sensitivity, medium rear sensitivity], TSCD [15-85 front rear], rigidity, racing tires front soft rear medium, racing trans with top speed set to 370 )
    Even with that setup its difficult and you have to block like crazy for 5 laps, but the Veyron is wide and heavy so you can block/nudge like crazy and if you keep the centre racing line they cant pass you but you need to get in front from the starting grid. On the straights they wont catch you either.
    Im still at a loss for the championship of this and the historic cup, other than using cars than cost over 10mil theres not much chance using the cars normally available. And after a week of solid racing just to earn some money for an F1 car i have only 3 million so ive given up on the idea of buying a 10mil+ race car.

Anyway, im done with this game, after many many hours ive finished all the special events and licenses (all gold and silver) and all the A-spec events upto and including extreme that dont require a 10mil+ car...theres not much to do and i really dont feel like grinding weeks of my life away just to buy 1 special car each to complete the remaining expert/extreme events...thats not fun in my books, this isnt the "high score" 80s era anymore.

Lastly i just want to voice my opinion on the AI...its utter b*llocks, i play a lot of racing games and GT5 has the worst AI of all the current crop of racing games, for those who claim its similar to Forza they are just fanboys who want to defend GT5, GT5 AI is antiquated and feels severely outdated compared to current gen racing games.
    Issues ?
    -AI drives on rails, its clear, those who deny it are idiots, its easily noticeable
    -The AI cars dont seem to be affected much by road surface
    -Theres always an "alpha male" AI car, and it will drive unrealistically fast like beating LP670s using something stupid like a Miura .
    -AI cars will not race fairly with you, if youre on the racing line side by side they will not take their own line or yield and race you out of a corner, they will drive straight into the side of you by trying to weave back into the racing line
    -If you take a alternative line to overtake them, they will have zero answer
    -They will ram into the back of you and spin you out in straights, they will also apply full brakes rather than gradual braking in most corners if you even touch them very slightly they will jam on the brakes and block you
    -They do not seem to be affected by tire wear, proof = i raced on the Cape Ring track and did the the last three laps at 1:31.xxx, the car in front had both rear tires smoking since the end of the 2nd lap so i bided my time and saved my tires thinking the car in front will slow down cause ive driven with worn tires and i know what a diff it makes...but no the car in front maintained 1:31 as well for 3 laps on 3 smoking tires and not once did it even slide or spin.

Its a shame really, the cars and tuning is such a great part of the game, suspension and LSD setup and stuff works like a dream...its just the "racing" thats so pointless, its just a mad dash to getting in front in the first lap and then staying there.
    Last edited by Ninja7; December 20, 2010 at 11:12.

Senior Onion

I've been told by a few people that they have won it by using a ZR1 and racing modified it(pre-tuned) and then tuning it up.

Also, you don't need to buy the F1 cars as it turns out. You win them in B-spec in the extreme series races. Dream Car I think. My B-spec driver is only like level 12 though...long way to go for that.

Junior Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • GA-Z68XP-UD4
      • Chipset:
      • Z68
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H70
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill DDR3 1866
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2x XFI 6970
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1400/920
      • Sound Card:
      • Creative Recon 3D
      • PSU:
      • Antec Cp1000
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 256GB 840 pro, 2xGSkill 60GB SSD's, 2X1TB Seagates
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG Blu-Ray Burner
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 x64

I beat it with the Zonda R that I won in B spec. Won the championship first go first 2 races gold rest bronze then individually did the bronze races till I got golds didn't take too long. Oh I have the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel too.
    Last edited by P_Dub_S; December 20, 2010 at 22:22.

Senior Onion

I had pretty good success with the ZR1 RM. I had to start the championship and exit and restart a few times until I got no LM series racers in the opponents. Came consistently in first and second place throughout but I turned on traction control for the 'ring since with a FR on that if the rear tire even grazes the grass you're off. I forgot to turn it back off for the last two races though and it had me understeering like crazy and on the last lap of the tokyo track it understeered me right into a wall, 1st to 4th, lost first place in the championship by 10 points.

What a bitch. [cursing]
    Last edited by TigerHawk; December 20, 2010 at 23:34.