+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SH Stereoscopic-3d (with Nvidia 3d Vision)

Hi guys. I thought you might all be interested in seeing what the game looks like in 3d. iZ3D is on the verge of releasing dx10 driver betas which should make the game playable in S3D (Stereoscopic-3d, like the movie Avatar in 3d) on a more than just Nvidia powered systems.

For this game to really look good in S3D, smoke and ice would need to be drawn at the correct depth, and there would have to be an option to disable the crosshair. In S3D mode, a game's built-in crosshair becomes doubled and inaccurate because of the camera adjustments done by the S3D driver. Ideally, the HUD would be drawn in 3d as well instead of 2d as it currently is, but that is a lot to ask for little gain.

Nevertheless, here are a few images I made with my old 8800gtx at medium settings for those who care to see what the game looks like in stereo 3d:

Optimized Anaglyph format (requires red/cyan glasses):

First Image Anaglyph
    Second Image Anaglyph

See attachments for JPG side-by-side format (view in 3d by crossing eyes):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bp2008; March 27, 2010 at 18:40.

Firefly

Re: SH Stereoscopic-3d (with Nvidia 3d Vision)

brighter screenshots with a bit more contrast may have worked a bit better for the cross-eye images. Took a while to get them into focus unlike how quickly I can with other ones I look at over on Deviantart.

ie,
    Thumb resize.

But here they are in smaller form for ya:
    Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Fog seems, well odd looking in this way.
    Last edited by LoganDougall; March 27, 2010 at 18:45.

Ok, I admit, these are pretty sad images. I will make better ones once I can do it with my ATI card.

It was truly horrible playing on an 8800gtx with S3D on, leeching half my frame rate.

The fog and smoke are not being drawn at the correct depth. If this issue was remedied and an option provided to turn off the crosshair, SH would probably support S3D quite well.

BTW, thanks for shrinking the images. I didn't think to do aimg tags.
    Last edited by bp2008; March 27, 2010 at 18:47.

The stereoscopic images look awesome, yea the fog looks kinda weird, but it does look awesome. What program makes it so you can play a game with Stereoscopic vision? i didn't see that option in IZ3D. And do you have to have an IZ3D monitor to play in Stereoscopic mode?
    Last edited by ActionDan; March 28, 2010 at 02:11.

Quote Originally posted by ActionDan View Post
    The stereoscopic images look awesome, yea the fog looks kinda weird, but it does look awesome. What program makes it so you can play a game with Stereoscopic vision? i didn't see that option in IZ3D. And do you have to have an IZ3D monitor to play in Stereoscopic mode?
    To play a game in stereoscopic 3d (S3D), you need a driver that displays a different image for each eye and some sort of 3d-capable display.

Here is what I am familiar with. There are essentially 3 major S3D drivers and 4 major hardware technologies to view S3D.

First the 4 hardware technologies. All require the user to wear special glasses.

1. Anaglyph (red/cyan lenses). Cost is < $10 and works with your existing screen.
    2. 120hz screen + shutter glasses (expensive, bulky glasses).
    3. iZ3D's 22" screen with cheap passive polarized glasses. (which I cannot recommend since they haven't worked out all the ghosting issues yet)
    4. Interlaced screen with passive polarized glasses (google Zalman Trimon).

And the 3 software drivers to enable the 3d:

1. Nvidia card owners with I think 8000 series or newer can use the free nvidia drivers for Anaglyph or 120hz screen + shutter glasses output (provided that you buy nvidia's brand of shutter glasses and an approved screen).
    2. iZ3D drivers. Currently this driver only works for Dx9, but in a matter of days a beta driver supporting Dx10 and SLI/Crossfire is supposed to be released. Anaglyph output is free, and a DLP output is free for ATI card owners (I think it is for a certain type of projector). Drivers for other outputs, such as interlaced for the Zalman screen cost $50 each).
    3. TriDef drivers. I know next to nothing about these drivers, so google them if interested.

To play a game in S3D you need one of the hardware technologies and one of the drivers to run it.

So obviously the cheapest way to get into S3D gaming is to buy anaglyph glasses like these (I bought this pair from 3dstereo through amazon.com). For less than $10 this works with very little ghosting, if you can stand wearing anaglyph glasses. They give me a headache after a while because the colors are quite messed up.

Nvidia owners have native support for anaglyph (red/cyan) in Windows Vista and higher. ATI owners must use 3rd party drivers like the free iZ3D anaglyph output (which, again, only supports Dx9 and single graphics card configurations at the moment, but this is soon to change).

I should point out that iZ3D has a trial version of all their 3d outputs, and one of them is a side-by-side output which can be used crosseyed. That is obviously not the ideal way to play in S3D but it is at least a way to try without having to buy anything new at all.
    Last edited by bp2008; March 28, 2010 at 07:00.

Firefly

For someone who's not "in the know" with these terms, which - if any - would work with a pair of 3D glasses kept from watching UP in theaters :P

Junior Firefly

Cinemas use polarising tech AFAIK so 3 and 4 are the ones that would work with those glases. That is assuming the polarity is the same.

e.g. in the cinema your left eye could be using a horizontal polariser and the right eye would be using a vertical polariser but the tech in 3 and 4 might have it the other way around; left eye vertical, right eye horizontal... so yeh that would presumably screw things up a bit.

You could of course wear the glasses upside down....

Polarising is rarer for home use because it is more difficult to reproduce on one display. In a cinema they just use two projectors which is pretty easy.
    Last edited by Spanner_; March 28, 2010 at 17:58.

Quote Originally posted by LoganDougall View Post
    For someone who's not "in the know" with these terms, which - if any - would work with a pair of 3D glasses kept from watching UP in theaters :P

Well the iZ3D screen (#3 in my hardware list) uses linear polarization, and as I stated before, the ghosting is terrible.

RealD glasses are probably what you have, and they use circular polarization as far as I know, which is completely incompatible with linear polarization.

I don't own the Zalman Trimon, but this Newegg customer review seems to think RealD glasses work with it. I don't know how many pairs of glasses the Zalman comes with, but being compatible with RealD certainly would help.

On the bright side, the Zalman is probably the best quality passive polarized screen you can buy. Just remember iZ3D charges $50 for the driver output that runs it if you end up having to use their driver.

If you really want to try 3d on the cheap without ordering anaglyph glasses online, then supposedly the movie Final Destination (4 I think?) 3D version has excellent red/cyan paper glasses inside. I can't guarantee it though, as I couldn't make myself buy such a poorly rated movie just for paper glasses. Get a pair of those, install the free iZ3D anaglyph drivers (or turn on 3d-vision discover if you run Nvidia gfx), and you can try 3D on your current screen.
    Last edited by bp2008; March 29, 2010 at 06:53.

yes yes yes! please get this game to run on 3d vision! i love 3d! best thing for my pc ever! i love this game- but it does not look good in 3d. here is information:
    http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/shattered-horizon/
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1210052
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=164835

yes yes yes! please get this game to run on 3d vision! i love 3d! best thing for my pc ever! i love this game- but it does not look good in 3d. here is information:
    http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/shattered-horizon/
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1210052
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=164835