• PSU:
      • Antec 1200W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Corsair 256GB SSD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64 Bit Professional

Re: Turtle Beach X41 popping sounds

Quote Originally posted by chrisinthesun20 View Post
    X41's are going back, and I've just pulled the trigger on the Astro A40's.

I've come to the conclusion that wireless is simply not worth the hassle. I can't use my laptop near the X41's without interference. I've also noticed that in many games certain frequencies (mainly lower frequencies) are full of static on the A41's (a byproduct of the wireless as I don't get this with wired headphones).

I so wanted to like the A41's - the sound is good, but the interference simply is not.

Yes, I'll have a cable snaking the 6ft across the floor with the Astro's A40's - but from the research I've done they are simply the best gaming headphones its possible to get.
    Sorry to hear the 41's didn't work out. I'm sure interference varies from location to location (based on the electronics and spectrum), but I can imagine if I had constant popping I wouldn't want to deal with it either. Fortunately for me, that isn't the case. Since I'm about 9 feet away from my TV, having a tethered headset simply wouldn't work out. Be sure to let us know how the A40's turn out. [yes]
    Last edited by Acupuncture; March 6, 2010 at 22:16.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • ASRock Z77 Extreme6
      • CPU:
      • i7-3770K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.4 Ghz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Low profile
      • Memory Speed:
      • 1866MHz
      • Video Card(s):
      • 2x Asus GTX Titan
      • Sound Card:
      • Pioneer SC-57
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000w
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 250GB SSD 3TB HDD
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BD-RW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro

Quote Originally posted by Acupuncture View Post
    Sorry to hear the 41's didn't work out. I'm sure interference varies from location to location (based on the electronics and spectrum), but I can imagine if I had constant popping I wouldn't want to deal with it either. Fortunately for me, that isn't the case. Since I'm about 9 feet away from my TV, having a tethered headset simply wouldn't work out. Be sure to let us know how the A40's turn out. [yes]
    I am sorry to hear as well and agree. I have my transmitter next to my plasma and have a wireless N network and many G networks in my area as well as 2 different GSM phones in the house, also my laptop is typically next to me when I play and I haven't had any issues. If they were clicking and popping though, I would most definitely go wired.

Super Moderator
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • MSI GT70 20D-087NL
      • CPU:
      • 4th Gen Intel i7-4700MQ
      • Memory:
      • 16GB RAM
      • Video Card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 780M 4GB
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 2x128GB SSD + 720GB HDD
      • Optical Drives:
      • BD+DVD
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8

I managed to remove most of the clicking and popping by locating the receiver away from my xbox - but its the low frequency static that really did it for me.

Playing Fable 2 - at the end where you are in the spire and you have to make your final choice. Those cutscenes have a lot of low-level / low frequency rumbling. On my X41's you could hear a constant static crackle. I got the same in MW2 when the harrier overflew - basically on any low-frequency sound effect. I get something slightly similar on my wireless sennheisers, but no where near as bad.

By going wired I can completely remove this issue - which is very important to me.

My xbox is about 6-7ft away from where i sit - but with the A40's I've ordered a 12ft toslink cable. I'm not sure how long the USB lead is (that needs to go from the console to the mixamp - for power) - but I also ordered the rechargable battery pack for the mixamp. That way if the USB cable is too short then I can just use the mixamp off the battery, meaning I'll just have the toslink cable snaking across the floor. I plan on having the mixamp next to me as from what I've read the xbox chat cable that goes from the mixamp to the headset is the shortest cable out of all the cables supplied.

Junior Proxycon Emperor

Sorry you didnt have the same luck as me with them chris. Let us know how the new ones work. Good luck with them. Hope they work better for you bro.