The Art of Stabbin' (Part I)
This small guide is my contribution to the community. We (TSC) are here to promote the most relevant aspect of Shattered Horizon: Zero-Gravity combat, this new environnement offers many ways to gain tactical advantage. We want you to enjoy this game as much as we enjoy it.
If you don't have time to read, just watch videos.
Disclaimer: Don't take this guide too seriously, it was not written this way :)
Stabbin is a funny way to improve Zero-G skills, it isn't much difficult, any rookie might be able to deliver a few stabs after 10 hrs of playtime. There is only 3 (sorry 4) requirements: patience, persistence, ballz.
Stabbin will give you: Fun, Friends, a better map knowledge, frustration, hilarious moments, epic fails, exciting stab streaks.
Stabbin won't give you: Peace, Good stats or a good K/D ratio, a girlfriend.
And don't forget: All strats below (are belong to us) can be used with assault rifle too.
Watch in HQ!
How to stab:
How to avoid being stabbed:
- SH needs warmup, play at least 10-30 minutes before stabbin
- Everything starts with a red target indicator  appearing on your suit electronics
- Plan enemy movement & find a way to get behind him.
- Hide in shadows to remain stealth.
- Use Roll, UP & DOWN movement keys (default SPACE & LEFT SHIFT) and repetitive small jetpack bursts while flanking him
- You won't appear on enemy radar only if you don't shoot or if nobody aim at you.
- Follow your target silently by gliding, mimic his movements till you get close enough
- Use your rocket pack only when the enemy uses it.
- Press stab key 0.5 second before impact (depending on speed). Anticipate it or you will bounce and fail. Correct distance is approx 30-70cm.
- Your crosshair MUST BE close enough to the target anytime between 25% to 90% of the melee animation duration. (btw, the bayonet is only visible in first person & during this animation)
- You can move while stabbin to hit a moving target or multiple targets with only one stab, a max of 3 has been proved, no theoritical limit.
- If your target's tank explode when you stab him, DON'T PANIC! press F key to swoop to the nearest surface or use your new speed to reach your next target.
- Advanced: Feel when to stab: collisions, enemy is reloading, enemy charging a grenade, enemy is scoping.
- You have six degrees of freedom to dodge the enemy's attack in SH, that's more than any other FPS, use BACK, UP & DOWN movements and your jetpack to evade.
- If you're new, play on training servers with no damage settings to learn movements.
- Pay attention to sounds around you. If you hear something moving & no mates on your radar: fear the bayonet.
- Train your melee skills, a huge bayonet always inspire fear, the longest bayo always win.
- Check behind you every 10 secs.
- When deebz connects, change server.
"I have a stab feeling about this!"
The EMP-stab - Difficulty: 1/5
aka. "teh noobway"
The simplest & easiest way to stab: Charge & launch EMP on target, jet forward, stab!The failstab - Difficulty: -
Caution: some players are still very dangerous while EMPd.
When you'll be familiar with the art of stabbin' you won't need EMPs anymore.
You managed to get close to the target, but his teammates' bullet get too close to your head. Those are more than 50% of your stab attempts, be persistent.The long-stab - Difficulty: 2/5
aka "teh flipstab"
On flipside some people use to snipe on top of the buildings at ISA spawn, or on top of the hill. If you start at MMC spawn, you have a great solution: go DOWN through the hole between asteroid fragments, Roll 180°, beware of ISA campers , jet forward, when you're at the end of the map, go UP, roll 180°, stab.The flank-stab - Difficulty: 2/5
Use the envrionment to flank your enemy. If you don't have cover, like on ISS, you can use ICE grenades to secure your flanking move.The stab around the rock - Difficulty: 2/5
On ISS, or any future map, when someone is camping on a small asteroid ("rock"): Recon target, jet forward and down, when you reach the rock : 180° Roll, (swoop if needed), forward, stab!The counter-stab - Difficulty: 3/5
(Forget CS:S plz)
You have a feeling that someone is behind you, and when you strafe left & UP you hear a failstab sound.
As you follow TSC gentlemen code, you won't use bullets, this will result in a bayonet fight. If you win, gg, that was a successful Counter-stab.
The Ice-stab - Difficulty: 3/5
"Counter-stabbed! Bayo is not for nuts!"
There is only one thing to remember when you're in an ice cloud: DON'T MOVE. The first who moves will be devoured by a TSC-Rex. As T-Rex likes to strike every Blue or Yellow thrusters in movement.The MPR stab - Difficulty: 4/5
aka "teh boomstab"
Your target (or your mate) throw an MPR grenade behind you, you are brutally ejected, your bayonet do hate that, so you'll have to feed it to calm down its upcoming anger. Luckily a floating enemy cross your explosion trajectory, you have 5 milliseconds to trigger your stab.The collision-stab - Difficulty: 3/5
You see a blue glow coming in your direction, you'll have to intercept enemy trajectory with your bayonet. One second too fast or one second too slow, and you're dead. Use ICE grenades for surprise effect.The terror-stab - Difficulty: 3/5
Best way to convert nooby campers into happy stabbers. ]The terror stab is basically a long or flankstab, except this time, you'll help your target to practice his detection skills, by making noises, weird gesture, moonwalking, etc.. then, when he understands what is happening, you'll have .5 sec to stab him. Wait for him to feel your presence.The trap stab - Difficulty: 3/5
aka "teh batstab"
Find a good friend & set a funny trap, he must catch enemy's full attention before you start your move. Or if you're alone, prepare yourself to stab rushing enemies while capturaing a control post. ICE + silent to avoid EMP is a nice combo here. Almost every control point has a nice defend spot, find the D-spot & take pleasure. Swoop to the ceiling in Moondust for a nice batman effect. Use the holes in the rooftops on Flipside.The multiple stab - Difficulty: 5/5
aka "teh monster stab"
Keep enough boost power before stabbin your first target.The front stab - Difficulty: 4/5
Keep gliding even if you think you've been compromised. Sometimes enemies don't notice that their mate is dead, they may even think you're on their side: your jetpack may still betray you. Once someone is aiming at you, jet between targets & ignore bullets.
aka "teh deebz' stab"
Pretty ballsy this one, there is so much reason to try hit. Enemy is shooting or sniping at you, you are angry, very angry, you just killed 3 of his mates, you feel invincible, you have 3 ICE nades left, you think you have time to jet forward while he reloads (or not), you trust your evade skills, you distrust his aim skills, you think he'll flee by himself. You bet, obviously, you die. But the only satisfaction of successfully delivering a front stab will make you forget your 10 previous death tryin'.The end of round - Difficulty: 3/5
Aww plz.. you don't want to mess your K/D stat? ok good news for you, here's a tip: Play normaly 9 minutes on 10 to secure your stats, but use this last minute TO FEED TEH BAYONNET. If you're a stab addict, this will be the final excuse for the most risky moves.End of Part I
Feel free to Reply with comments or content. (or you will be stab)
Feel free to post a comment message on featured videos.
I'd like to thank: SiB77 for his Video Tutorial, nGAGE for his VirtualDub Render-Settings for YouTube HD tutorial
[BETA] & [FMS] beta clans, everybody at The Stab Command, and especially Wisher [TSC].