+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1
    Senior Firefly
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,353

    Safe to give out your IP address?

    The company I work for is using Citrix for employees to remotely connect to their servers. They are displaying the IP address on the website as part of the installation instructions.

    Is it safe or not to display their IP address?

  2. #2
    Veteran Onion
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,282

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Although not something I would do, It shouldn't really cause any issue. If everything is properly set up, the script kiddies who see the address won't gain anything with knowing it. The people you really need to worry about breaking in don't need the IP address listed on a site for them to figure it out.

  3. #3
    Proxycon Emperor
    Joined
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    13,661

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    if people want to find out what the IP is,
    they can probably find it so there is really no point trying to hide it.

  4. #4

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Quote Originally posted by Asylum View Post
    The company I work for is using Citrix for employees to remotely connect to their servers. They are displaying the IP address on the website as part of the installation instructions.

    Is it safe or not to display their IP address?
    IP addresses are public and can not be obfuscated. If they post the IP address and specify the hardware that resides at that address, then a malicious user whom is familiar with the hardware (and its various security holes) could compromise the security of the network. However, during this process, finding the IP address is an insignificant effort.

    I am not really a fan of security through obscurity. I think that posting the IP address should not lessen the security since an obscure IP address provides 0 security in the first place.

  5. #5
    Senior Firefly
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Does showing people the remote connection software we are using and the instructions for installing and setting it up compromise security? If someone now knows we're using Citrix (which they didn't know before) and they also now know our IP address (which they didn't easily know before) aren't we just asking for trouble?

  6. #6

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Quote Originally posted by Asylum View Post
    Does showing people the remote connection software we are using and the instructions for installing and setting it up compromise security? If someone now knows we're using Citrix (which they didn't know before) and they also now know our IP address (which they didn't easily know before) aren't we just asking for trouble?
    So basically, the only security metric to prevent an unauthorized user is a username and password?

  7. #7
    Senior Firefly
    Joined
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Correct but they require password changes pretty frequently and incorrect guesses lead to account lockouts.

  8. #8

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    Quote Originally posted by Asylum View Post
    Correct but they require password changes pretty frequently and incorrect guesses lead to account lockouts.
    Yikes, do you guys have a dedicated security team? Username + Password is pretty lackluster security

  9. #9
    Senior Firefly
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk, England (Not UK)
    Posts
    1,202

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    If it's anything like our Citrix access, we also have an RSA SecureID, basically a keyfob that displays a random 6 digit number every 10 seconds thats synched to the servers.

    So username, password and passcode.

  10. #10
    Master Onion
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    5,923

    Re: Safe to give out your IP address?

    If giving out your IP address were dangerous then you've already been owned by an automated attack and are serving up malware as part of some botnet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts