+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Onion

Teflon poisoning?

Friday evening i made a meal using a teflon coated frying pan, i put all the contents meat/sauce of the pan onto my noodles.
    That night my armpit glands swelled up and i starting shaking pretty badly but i managed to get a couple of hours sleep, i also felt like crap the next day but thankfully the shaking stopped, today i feel ok apart from a small amount of discomfort in my armpits.

Saturday when doing the washing up as i washed the frying pan the teflon layer just easily came off in a patch 2" x 1" and also in little areas around the pan.
    I become ill a few hours after eating the meal made in this pan do you think i eat some of the teflon and became ill?
    Last edited by bigjenko; May 31, 2009 at 19:08.

Veteran Onion

Re: Teflon poisoning?

I have been eating bits of teflon over the years from all my cheap pans, and my first george forman grill without any kind of issue, sounds to me like you got some bad food more so than poisoned by teflon.

Junior Proxycon Emperor

must have been a unknown Chinese brand of pan then when the coating let's go without any good given reason.

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Hyper 212 Evo
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16 gb's
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • eVga gtx 670 FTW Signature 2
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1359/7107
      • Sound Card:
      • Recon 3d
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Smart Power 850
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 2x WD Black 1tb's
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BR burner
      • Operating System:
      • win 7

I don't get the point of teflon stuff,it's not as if it's hard at all to clean a good cast iron pan,and stuff doesnt stick to them that well either. Teflon sucks,and it is bad to eat bits of it,still probably wasn't responsible for that.

tinfoil hat mode

Perfluorooctanoic acid is what is usually associated as the chemical that humans react to in teflon. Rather then reactions it's linked to infertility in wo/men. Chances are even if you were to have had a bad reaction to it, it would have occured well before this point as teflon is in so many food/clothes/water/houses products that everyone is already well exposed to Perfluorooctanoic acid (doesn't that seem like it has too many o's?).

/tinfoil hat mode
    Last edited by Dibrom; May 31, 2009 at 20:10. Reason: typo

Veteran Onion

Quote Originally posted by tinomen View Post
    I don't get the point of teflon stuff,it's not as if it's hard at all to clean a good cast iron pan,and stuff doesnt stick to them that well either. Teflon sucks,and it is bad to eat bits of it,still probably wasn't responsible for that.
    Cast iron pans are expensive! I think you'll find most people use stainless steel or aluminium pans. And non-stick in a frying pan is a real boon.

Master Onion

Quote Originally posted by jfitzw View Post
    I have been eating bits of teflon over the years from all my cheap pans, and my first george forman grill without any kind of issue
    Same here, though it just happens that a large amount the teflon falls off the pan after i get sick, i could have had a large dose which gave the symptoms.

"tinfoil hat mode"

"Perfluorooctanic acid"
    "is a ubiquitous toxic chemical"
    "PFOA causes cancer and other health problems in laboratory animals"
    "Studies show that when used on conventional stoves, Teflon chemicals break down into dangerous particulates and gases, including two chemicals linked to cancer or tumors in lab animals (PFOA, TFE), two potent global warming gases (PFB, CF4), two chemical warfare agents (PFB, MFA), and a chemical analog of WWII nerve gas, phosgene (COF2)"

Seems just using a teflon pan the fumes can kill birds and give people respiroty problems, why couldnt me eating a certian amount make me ill?
    Last edited by bigjenko; May 31, 2009 at 20:36.

Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asrock Z77 Extreme 6
      • Chipset:
      • Z77
      • CPU:
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Hyper 212 Evo
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16 gb's
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • eVga gtx 670 FTW Signature 2
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1359/7107
      • Sound Card:
      • Recon 3d
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Smart Power 850
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • 2x WD Black 1tb's
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG BR burner
      • Operating System:
      • win 7

Quote Originally posted by Bungle View Post
    Cast iron pans are expensive! I think you'll find most people use stainless steel or aluminium pans. And non-stick in a frying pan is a real boon.
    They're not THAT expensive,go to a restaurant supply store and you can get a largish one for $30 that you'll never need to replace.

And I never have problems with anything sticking to mine.

Master Onion

Just read this
    "There is some danger involved, however, when heating pans treated with PTFE to very high temperatures. When heated to over 300 degrees Celsius / 572 degrees Fahrenheit (a temperature you won't likely reach intentionally on your stove or in your oven), PTFE releases fumes. These fumes can cause an illness resembling the flu, with symptoms including tightening of the chest, mild coughing, nausea, and sweats. It's called polymer fume fever, and it's rare."

I never reached those temps but those symptoms fit.

Quote Originally posted by bigjenko View Post
    Seems just using a teflon pan the fumes can kill birds and give people respiroty problems, why couldnt me eating a certian amount make me ill?
    I believe those are all when teflon is broken down by extreme heat. It would be the difference between plastic wrap/containers around food and inhaling plastic fumes.
    (Don't get me wrong though, both plastic and teflon leave chemicals in food at normal use temperatures.)
    Last edited by Dibrom; May 31, 2009 at 21:01.