• Coolermaster GX750W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 temperatures

I just bought a new Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 in a box, and the first time I started the PC, in the BIOS, it was showing the CPU was at 61 C!. Then, I installed in Windows 7, SiSoftware Sandra 2009 SP2 and showed me 48 C to 52 C of temperature. I just want to know if which is the ideal temperature when idle and when at full load of this CPU. Thanks!!

Senior Firefly

Re: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 temperatures

Depends upon the clock speed, overclock, volts...etc. It seems high, but perhaps it is due to not getting a good thermal connection to the cpu cooler, or maybe the cooler itself isn't doing the job.
    My quad 6600 is @ 3.6 (1.4 volts) and idle temps run between 33-36...so I think that 8400 is running a little hot.

Have you installed CoreTemp or Real Temp to see what temps you are actually at?

Emperor Apprentice

Buy an aftermarket especially if you want to overclock and please buy some decent thermal paste, the one that follows the crappy fan sucks. [yes]

• Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P5QC
      • Chipset:
      • Intel P45
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 DUO E8400
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Stock cooler
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Memory Speed:
      • 800 MHZ
      • Video Card(s):
      • Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
      • Video Card Speed:
      • 1024 MB / 850MHZ
      • Sound Card:
      • Realtek HD Audio
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX750W
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB
      • Optical Drives:
      • LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Quote Originally posted by movieman39 View Post
    Depends upon the clock speed, overclock, volts...etc. It seems high, but perhaps it is due to not getting a good thermal connection to the cpu cooler, or maybe the cooler itself isn't doing the job.
    My quad 6600 is @ 3.6 (1.4 volts) and idle temps run between 33-36...so I think that 8400 is running a little hot.

Have you installed CoreTemp or Real Temp to see what temps you are actually at?
    I just installed CoreTemp and shows me a 48 C of temperature. I think it is not too high, or it is?

Veteran Master Onion
    • Computer Specs
      • Motherboard or Laptop:
      • Asus P8P67 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600K
      • CPU Overclock Speed:
      • 4.6 GHz
      • CPU Cooler:
      • Hyper 212+ push/pull
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB (4x4GB)
      • Memory Speed:
      • Video Card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 FTW
      • Sound Card:
      • X-Fi Titanium
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650
      • Hard Drive(s):
      • Crucual M4 128, Samsung 840 EVO 250, Samsung F3 1 TB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64

Quote Originally posted by Masterchief John152 View Post
    I just installed CoreTemp and shows me a 48 C of temperature. I think it is not too high, or it is?
    Seems a little high, but it comes down to the cooler, thermal paste, and ambient temperature. With that said, the stock cooler isn't the best.

Emperor Apprentice

Quote Originally posted by Masterchief John152 View Post
    It's fine mate, very nice if you use stock lol..I have 45-48C at idle with Arctic Cooler 7 with AC5 thermal paste.

Quote Originally posted by Thresher View Post
    Seems a little high, but it comes down to the cooler, thermal paste, and ambient temperature. With that said, the stock cooler isn't the best.
    A little high? How much is low then? [surrender]

Senior Firefly

It might be a tad (don't know how to measure a tad), but again as the others mentioned---Thermal paste (good stuff), I feel when oc'ing---especially the 8400 having an aftermarket cooler is ideal, but Noizic stated---that chip might not be high at all and maybe just get some better thermal paste check make sure the case is getting good air flow (helps tremendously with ambient in case).
    I have a quad flying @ 3.6 and the idle temps are as stated above..but I am using the Coolit Domino ALC (water cooling) and love it, but I did have a Tuniq Tower and was pleased but couldn't do what the Domino is doing now. Same kind of paste for both (AS5).

Emperor Apprentice

Quote Originally posted by movieman39 View Post
    It might be a tad (don't know how to measure a tad), but again as the others mentioned---Thermal paste (good stuff), I feel when oc'ing---especially the 8400 having an aftermarket cooler is ideal, but Noizic stated---that chip might not be high at all and maybe just get some better thermal paste check make sure the case is getting good air flow (helps tremendously with ambient in case).
    I have a quad flying @ 3.6 and the idle temps are as stated above..but I am using the Coolit Domino ALC (water cooling) and love it, but I did have a Tuniq Tower and was pleased but couldn't do what the Domino is doing now. Same kind of paste for both (AS5).
    Yes, a good case with decent air flows helps even better than a aftermarket and extra thermal paste, also it helps all parts not just the specific one. Keep it dust free if its small without filters is a good idea.

Junior Firefly

I use real temp. I remember back when I got my 8400, this was regarded as the most reliable for our temperatures, (these e8400 have somewhat faulty sensors).

Get an aftermarket cooler. I idle at 36-37c, and after playing crysis for hours I max out around 55c. Prime 95 gets me to low 60c, and burntest gets me into the 70s, but I've never seen anything higher than 55ish in real world use. I've got a Ninja Scythe.

Emperor Apprentice

Quote Originally posted by elcheapo View Post
    I use real temp. I remember back when I got my 8400, this was regarded as the most reliable for our temperatures, (these e8400 have somewhat faulty sensors).

Get an aftermarket cooler. I idle at 36-37c, and after playing crysis for hours I max out around 55c. Prime 95 gets me to low 60c, and burntest gets me into the 70s, but I've never seen anything higher than 55ish in real world use. I've got a Ninja Scythe.
    So real temp is suppose to be better? I'm downloading it right now.

Ok, so I just got it. Te reports exactly the same as my Everest and CoreTemp. Bah..
    Last edited by Noizic; April 3, 2009 at 06:57.